Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2005, 09:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Faster way to quarantine fish?

I realize it's not always a good idea to medicate new fish without first determining if there is a problem but I want to get this fish into my display asap!

I got a 6" Vlamingi tang and figure he won't be happy for long in my 10g Q tank..... The two ways I look at it are (neither are good), all the eating and pooping of this tang will force me to:

!) underfeed him to try and keep the water condicions somewhat normal

2) Daily water changes for the entire 4 weeks.

Should I treat w/ hyposalinity and nitrofurazone right off the bat and chance it by putting him in my display in say 2 weeks instead of 4?

I guess I could also get a 20-30 rubbermaid container to put him in but I'm sure I'd still need to do regular large water changes to try and keep the water in ok shape.

Old 02-19-2005, 10:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Maybe others will chime in, but the Vlamingi tang is too big a fish for any of the tanks you currently have IMO (unless you have purchase another tank you do not list). These fish can reach 2 ft in length and need a tank of several hundred gallons. My LfS store has one in his 600 gallon display and that thing is every bit of 20".
http://www.marinedepotlive.com/754434.html
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/tangidfaqs.htm
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/m-fish/Vlamingi-Tang.html
As for your question, I would definately not skip qt, I would either get a larger tank or take the fish back.
2 weeks is barely long enough to establish a hypo treatment and needs to be maintained for 4 weeks to be effective.
Maybe someone has another idea, but thats my opinion.

Old 02-20-2005, 01:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to arminkropp
Anyone here ever freshwater "dip" the fish they get?
I've heard that could be done BUT, I would rather Qt.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 200g 7ft tank that is in the process of being setup now that he will be comfortable in for now and within 2 years I will definately have a 350+ tank so I'm not worried about the size. I decided that his size would make him even more incredible in my reef!!

I have it in a 10g for now and will probably just wind up using a larger tuberware container.

arminkropp: I've used FW dips in the past with methly blue and actully have never had a fish get sick in the QT after dipping him.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:28 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

That will be incredible!! VERY cool fish.
Quote:
I have it in a 10g for now and will probably just wind up using a larger tuberware container.
Thats what I would do...I think you know how important the qt period is. I'm not the only one that has been burned by its lack of use.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarryshark
I think you know how important the qt period is. I'm not the only one that has been burned by its lack of use.
Yep...I've been burnt a couple times. I seem to have horrible luck with fish. No matter where I buy them from they seem to get sick. Friends of mine buy tons of fish and just throw them right in with no problems...I on the other hand seem to have problems with every fish I buy.

Knock on wood all the fish I have now are doing great.
I have 4 QT tanks running right now, I just released a yellow tang in my tank middle of last week, a sixline wrasse and a hector's goby today. I have a carpenter's fairy wrasse that is ready but I'll probably wait another week just to make sure. I have a female fireclown and a cross's damsel to be released in another two weeks and a fremale lyretail anthias in 3 weeks. Then the Vlamingi in another 4-5 weeks. All my fish have been doing great as of late
Old 02-20-2005, 01:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good, I hope it goes better for you this time. You certainly deserve it.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:04 PM   #8
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminkropp
Anyone here ever freshwater "dip" the fish they get?
I've heard that could be done BUT, I would rather Qt.
FW dips do not effectively cure parasites from fish. At best they merely alleviate heavy infestations. It is not a substitute for proper quarantine and if necessary treatment.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-20-2005, 04:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

FW dips and medicated dips are better than nothing, but they still don't stack up to a true quarantine. Of course I don't have to tell you that the last thing you want is a parasite getting into your display tank.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:07 PM   #10
steve-s

Actually dips are just as bad as doing nothing. They don't eliminate any kind of parasite unless used in conjunction with a QT.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
quarantine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com