Favia losing Photosyn. Buddies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It was recommended that I seek help from some more seasoned AA members, so here it goes.

I have a green and red favia whose green color has migrated out of the "wells" and appears to only be held down by the corals natural slime. My build thread for this tank is listed below. This is a newer tank, but everything else, including another favia of the same color looks fine.

Pics.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424322966.803574.jpg

GouramiLover's Nano Reef Build - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You are providing it with mush different lighting than it was under in the wild. I don't see anything wrong with either picture.

I can test that later today, but my ph stays about 8.4 to 8.5 max. No2, no3, and ammonia 0.

I added some chaeto to my Aquaclear 110 about a week ago to help suck up extra nutrients from the fish I will be adding. Also for BB and pods. Not sure if that relevant, but thought I should mention all changes to the tank.

Tested the coral with my soft tooth brush again today. Green stuff came right off again. Here's an updated pic.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424397170.113746.jpg

That sure doesn't look good...looks like it just expelled all of the zoo like a torch will spit the tentacles out in a last ditch effort sort of deal.

I only have it near a toadstool leather and mushrooms. It is probably is the safest spot in the tank, so I don't think it is being attacked. I am certainly mystified as to why this is happening. If I couldn't see growth from day to day I would say it was dying, but it is spreading. It is overall more smooth than it was originally.

It's a very strange case indeed. I have two solutions:

1. Try to get a calcium reading, ideally it should be 400-420ppm. Since favia have such large skeletons they tend to suck back the calc. Perhaps that's one cause for it's issue.

2. Favia don't need to be fed, but it sure helps with growth and in this situation, recuperation. They have skinny, transparent feeding tentacles that will hopefully emerge when they sense something meaty in the water around them. Try mysis or brine shrimp, just spot feed with an eye-dropper or even a turkey baster. The shrimp will stick to the polyps and hopefully the coral will absorb them.

Anyway, good luck. I wish you the best :)

If her alk is at 12dkh, calcium levels are probably pretty low. I don't think that's going to make it expel it's zooxanthellae though...just grow slower. You could try raising calcium levels. This coral may have done most of it's growing in a lower alk environment and is not acclimating well to the higher ppm. You said it was growing. I missed how long it's been in the tank. I do see that the flesh sort of grew around that piece of rock at the bottom of the pic.
Another thought I had was that maybe the green zooxanthellae can't stand the artificial light, and the maroon can tolerate it. Is this LED lighting?

It is led lighting. Could my lights be too close or too bright?

I have two 13 watt led lights. One is blue spectrum (coral compulsion super blue) , and the other is mostly white (coral compulsion vibrance).

Also, my calcium levels run on the slightly high side.

If you are using an API test kit, more times than not the calcium kit is way off. 12dkh tells me your calcium level is somewhere in the 300s.
It's just a guess about the light, but yes, it's possible, and favia are low/medium light corals.

I am using an api test for calcium. Would you suggest another?

Should I try moving the coral towards the bottom in a more shady spot?

Back
Top Bottom