favia turning brown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

will8

Aquarium Advice Activist
morning to you all,
i have had my favia for 3 weeks and i have notice its starting to go brown on the bottom.
why is this? its dying?
its is about 10" under t5 lights all the parameters are good
S.G 1.025, Nitrate 5ppm, nitrite 0ppm, pho4 0ppm, calcium 480ppm, mag 1480ppm, alk 9dkh, temp 25c, ph 8.0--8.2,
hope someone know what wrong, i have been looking in aquarium corals by borneman, but no luck yet.

img_915359_0_9c40299a22b4e5f29ef6bd9af0601b25.jpg

cheers

How fast is the recession? Possibly being stung by another coral or getting picked at by a fish/invert? Any changes to the tank recently? Anything recently dosed?

What are you using to supplement your mag? It's a little on the high side.
I've read a little on Kent Tech-M and there is some kind of impurity in it, and no one knows exaclty what it is, that may cause problems at higher levels.

i have had it 3 weeks so its happened in that time scale, i read it need meduim flow so its high up in a corner where its gets a little flow. in the tank i have roughly 20x flow. as for getting stung the nearest coral to it is a green star polyp which is 8" away.
dont normal add any supplements but 3weeks ago the alk and calcium was low so i added 2 capful of salfert all in one. it said add i capful for 50g.
i have seen a hitchhiker crab around that area at night time.
just a thought, it is at the back of the tank and the blue light is at the back so is it not getting enough of the white lights.
hope this helps.
cheers will.

my Favia brain coral has some brown spots as well it happened becuase I had another coral too close to it blocking its light and water flow.

well maybe its not getting enough light since i have it under the actincs tube at the back of the tank. i could move the favia or could i swap the tubes around so the white tube is at the back and the blue tube second from back. would this be ok as have a torch coarl about 10" to the left of the favia also under the blue tube.
the tubes have got reflectors on so does the light just go straight down.
hopefully this all makes sense.

Increased water flow as Melosu mentioned and I would move it down away from the light. Sections are browning usually indicating excessive light. Was the coral recessed when you got it? I dislike using all-in-one products since most of the elements are fillers and not actually geared towards raising pure Ca, Alk, or Mag. I would not use that product (your params are fine) and just move it downward in decent flow and see what happens over the course of a week (update us).

ok will do that now. and i will not use the all in one. i do pwc every week, but i went on holiday for two weeks and the levels dropped.
will post and let you know if improves.
thanks.

i have moved it is about 15" under the t5s, but the only piece of flat lr i could put it on is near some softies. a toadstool and button and mushrooms will be ok near them. there is 3" between them all.
cheers

Back
Top Bottom