Feather Duster blew his top!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My feather duster popped his top off. It is just laying at the bottom of the tank. Looks like someone just plucked the top of a flower of the stem. Is this normal for these things to do this? Will it grow back? I have seen the worm in the tube, it still is coming out, just bald headed (like me)...LOL

Mike

I wish it would work that easy for me. Maybe Rogain?.....Bald is beautiful, so my wife says anyway....think she could be lying to me?........LOL

Thanks for the quick reply.

Mike

Ours did it and it took about 3 weeks to come back and the new feathers were only white at first then the brown lines came back later. apparently they do this when the water quality gets out of whack or if the substrate gets stirred up alot or from any other thing they find stressing. We thought ours was dead because we never saw the feathers in the tank. He just stopped coming out. We almost threw him away.

I have two feather duster in this tank. Now the other one is coming way out of his tube, but he goes back in again. Wierd.

Now I have checked and double checked the water parameters using 2 different test kits and am getting 0 on everything. I have two seahorses in this tank, they do "hitch" onto the feather dusters quite a bit. Do you think this may have something to do with it?

Mike

Are they the same kind of featherduster? Featherdusters pop their tops when they breed. I had it happen and I freaked. Now there are hundreds of featherduster babies all over my tank. I guess it keeps them from filtering out and eating their own young while they are free swimming.

They are quite large, well one of them is now. One is yellow and the other is brown/white.

Mike

Well the other one just gave up the ghost tonight. Came all the way out of his tube and just layed there on the substrate for a couple of hours. Water is perfect. Everything else in the tank is just fine. Seahorses and corals are doing great.

Back
Top Bottom