Feather duster head came off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt Ziemer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a feather duster worm that has been acting normally, and has looked very healthy and happy. This morning it's head was detached and sitting on the bottom of the tank. WTH? I did not take a pic :( It was a very clean separation of the head, though. Will it grow a new head? Why did this happen? What is the deal?

:thanks:

I've read that they will shed their crown from time to time. It can be a normal occurrence but it can also mean the water conditions are less than favorable. What are your water parameters?

This happened to mine. It was fine for a few days, then the crown was falling apart and disappeared. After a couple weeks the new crown is coming out. Pretty odd. I don't think you should take it out for a while.

I just ordered one of these and after reading up on them, it seems like they do this from time to time.
One article says under no circumstances do you remove the tube as the crown will either re-grow or the worm will move to a happier place.
Can't wait for mine to arrive

The head came off so clean, I had a feeling it was a natural thing. The water parameters are not ideal (nitrates pretty high - around 40 ppm) but everything in the tank is doing pretty well, anyway. I'll just leave the tube in place and monitor. Thanks for the tips, folks.

Matt

Mine came off and the worm resurfaced about 2 weeks later. I wouldn't move it for a while

all mine did it came back even bigger
I have like 10 of them
but yes can be a scare if not expecting it
it's basically their way of molting for growth

I've checked the worm and it looks nicely lodged into its spot and healthy from all outward appearances. I'll be patient and look forward to Feather duster 2.0. Thanks again!

I've checked the worm and it looks nicely lodged into its spot and healthy from all outward appearances. I'll be patient and look forward to Feather duster 2.0. Thanks again!

Stress causes that what fish do you have if a fish picks at it it will release the crown

Stress causes that what fish do you have if a fish picks at it it will release the crown

I have the following: Yellow tang; Foxface Lo; Blue damsel; Yellowtail damsel; 2 - clowns; 3- striped cardinals. I have never seen any of them picking at the feather duster, but God knows what goes on when I'm away!

Do you see anything in the fish population that would raise a red flag as far as the feather duster is concerned? It has now been two weeks, and still no "replacement head." I was doing a water change 3 days ago, and I checked the tube. I just touched it to make sure it was not just rotting in my tank. It seemed ok, it seemed consistent with that of a healthy worm. I will continue to wait. Thank you for giving this some thought.

I have the following: Yellow tang; Foxface Lo; Blue damsel; Yellowtail damsel; 2 - clowns; 3- striped cardinals. I have never seen any of them picking at the feather duster, but God knows what goes on when I'm away!

Do you see anything in the fish population that would raise a red flag as far as the feather duster is concerned? It has now been two weeks, and still no "replacement head." I was doing a water change 3 days ago, and I checked the tube. I just touched it to make sure it was not just rotting in my tank. It seemed ok, it seemed consistent with that of a healthy worm. I will continue to wait. Thank you for giving this some thought.

Damsels raise a flag for me itll take awhile to grow back

i had a foxface that was curious and would nip at one of my feather dusters - It did not cause any harm to the feather. But I would be cautious.

Back
Top Bottom