feather duster lost it's cap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have read that if a feather duster is stressed, it will discard it's cap and grow it back later. Will it also discard it's cap regularly just to grow? Also, how do I know if it's dead or not? I tried to move it because I suspect it may be stressed due to being too close to my candy cane coral, but it just broke in half.

Is it too late? Should I watch it and see or remove it?

thanks

Broke in half? Which species of duster?

Losing the crown can be for many reasons. The most common is predacean, fish and peppermint shrimp being at the top of the list. If it's pestered too often it will toss the crown.

If the soft tubed kind, I would place the tube in a med flow area where it can filter water unhindered. In rock crevaces or holes is best, lighting is unimportant. I would not place it in the sandbed. You want to be careful not to sueeze the tube when moving/placing it. The duster is a soft worm and can be damaged easily. Also be sure to pick your spot and leave it be, too much fussing with it will cause it to evac the tube. Not certain death but not in it's best interest either.

Do you feed phyto occassionally?

Cheers
Steve

it's a hawain feather duster. I have another pink feather duster on the opposite side of the tank and it's doing great, but not the hawaiin. I feed DT's phytoplankton one time per week.

Yeah, the tube literally broke in half when I tried to move it. There's still about 3 inches left where it is anchored.

Thoughts?

Dr.Nate said:
There's still about 3 inches left where it is anchored.
Fairly good chance the duster is still in the attached part of the tube. If so I would leave it be.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom