Featherduster issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

localhost

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 2 featherdusters in my tank. One I have had for about 4 months and it does fine and stays out most of the time. A month ago I added a new one and it is acting strange.

To get things started, when I brought him home from the LFS, I acclimated it and then put it in my tank. The odd thing was that he never retracted into his tube during this whole process, not even when I was physically holding it and moving it around in the tank. He primarily stays inside his tube but comes out for a few hours everyday.

Last night about 2 a.m. I got up and noticed that he had extended about 1/2 inch of his body outside the tube. I thought that was odd as my other one has never done that. This morning I awake to find his crown in the sand floating around. I know they will drop their crown when stressed but nothing was bothering it. Now I have a bald featherduster that twice today has exposed about an inch of itself outside his tube. Is this something to worry about.

FYI, standard info, 45G, LR/LS, nitrate below 10, phosphate I haven't tested but I doubt it's too bad because I haven't had any algae problems lately, all others are at 0.

When mine did that it died not long after. No idea why it did that nothing bothered mine either and I had it for a year or so.

Does anybody have a clue for the life span of a featherduster. This one is over twice as large as my other one. This one has a tube it is in that is over 8inches long and his crown was a good 3 to 4 inches in diameter. Could it be old age?

Back
Top Bottom