Female clown won't leave the male alone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claw Atticas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've noticed ever since I put my clownfish in the 3 week QT for Brooklynella, the female's been fighting with the male, leading to separation-by-breeder-net... I put them back in the main tank, and she's still fighting with him. (Humorously enough, she nags him, then does the 'clownfish waggle', to which he sometimes responds in kind)

The other day I saw him laying on the sand against the bubble-wall-maker, and thought she had 'nagged' him to death, so I went to grab him with the net, and he swam up away from the rock, seemingly very fine, and unfortunately only to be nagged by the female again. I chased the female away from the male, and noticed the male's dorsal fin was a little ragged, possibly causing him to have difficulty in swimming. The male, instead of swimming upward, 'hovered' (or 'climbed') up the live rock, where I caught him in the net, and put him in the breeder net I used for him to hide in QT.

Now in the breeder net, he seems to swim around just as well as the female, but his dorsal fin still doesn't look near as good as the female's. My questions:
1) What should I do about these two? I've moved the live rock around before, but it didn't seem to work. I turn the lights out, but it only makes her bother him less under the moon-light (LEDs). Before I put them in QT, they were fine with each other (Although they were younger then, and possibly she's grown aggressive with age)
2) I've thought of getting a firefish (pondering between purple or regular, leaning towards regular). That wouldn't have any problems with a clownfish, would it? The compatibility chart at liveaquaria.com says they're compatibile, and the clownfish is the only one it's fighting with.
3) If I have to give the female back to the LFS, will the male's dorsal fin heal back to normal?

Picture of the male (The dorsal fin doesn't look near as bad as I originally thought, but still it's been nipped at, and so has his tail)
attachment.php

(Pictured in the back is the pill-cutter I use to split frozen food cubes)

Females are nasty. Female clownfish that is ;) How long has this been going on? It sounds pretty normal as far as clowns establishing their dominance. The female of my pair hammered the male for a good 2 weeks before she let him alone. He took a beating, but it never looked like it was being killed.
On a side note...male clowns have it ruff...lol. The females beat the crap out of them before they pair up. Once they start laying eggs, the male always has to stay home and watch the eggs while the female cruises all over the place. Even at feeding time, the poor fella has to watch the youngens till the female is gorged out, then he gets to fight for what's left. No respect I tell ya, no respect.

btw..I don't see a pic

100_3717.jpg
I think this pic will work. The clownfish started fighting in the 5gal QT (It was all I had) that I put them in on the 9th of September, and has continued since I put them back in the 44gal on the 25th of September, so they've been fighting for about 2 months now.

The male was the sick one. I did notice his colors were growing dull, while the female's stayed vibrant orange. Unfortunately, he passed away just after midnight.

Mine was exactly the same way. The male got sick and got picked on a lot. Wasn't allowed to eat and they had been together happily for years. Removed the male, treated him and returned him to the tank. Talking about a happy reunion! She was so happy to see him all of sudden. Guess she just didn't want a sick mate.

Sorry to hear about the loss.Whatcha gonna do now? Still want a pair? Knowing me, the chicken, I"d prolly return the female and buy a new pair.

I'm going to keep the female alone. Was nice to have a pair, though I hated to see them fight, so I think she'll be good on her own. I'll get a firefish, and a green mandarin (I've been wanting to get one for a while, but was waiting for my tank to get copepods. It's been 7 months since I set the tank up, every once in a while I see 'bugs' swimming around my tank, and always a good bit of snow drifting about, so it should be good for any day now.)

Back
Top Bottom