Figure-8 Puffer with psychological issues (seriously)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamHorton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I've had a Figure-8 puffer for 4 weeks now. He's doing great except for one thing: he hates people.

I know I've posted here before about my fish hating me and I was sort of being sarcastic, but this time actually worries me.

Whenever any person approaches the tank, no matter how slowly or stealthfully, once he sees them he will immediately freak out. When I say freak out, I mean he will start swimming up against the back of the tank very erratically and try several times to jump out of the top of the tank. This behavior doesn't stop if I just stand still by the tank, even for up to 10-15 minutes, he keeps doing this and doesn't calm down until he can't see me anymore. I thought he would calm down but it's been a month and it's still exactly the same.

To feed him, I have to rig up something where his food is dangling in a certain part of the tank so he can see it, then leave and watch from 15-feet away to make sure he eats it. It usually takes him a minute or so to calm down and then see the food. He's eating great at this point, except for the freaking out of course.

Right now he's in a 10G tank. I have a 20G High tank that he will move up to once I move in a couple of months. I tried rearranging the decorations so that he would have lots of places to hide, but he doesn't hide there, and it didn't change his behavior.

I'm out of ideas as to what could be causing this, but I'm pretty sure it isn't normal. Any suggestions?

I'm gonna grab at straws on this one...

Try taking a picture of yourself from the waist up, print it in color and tape it to the side of the tank so he sees it all the time, and see if he's OK with that.

I wonder if he can see something we can't, similar to a aura or something in a different spectrum and that's what's freaking him out? That was my thought process behind the picture idea. Trying to eliminate "you" from the equation. Maybe see if he freaks out for someone else?

Perhaps he came from a battered home. Just kidding. My sarcasm gene has kicked in today for some reason. I'm serious about the picture thing though. Who knows.

I'll try a picture. He freaks out for my girlfriend, though, too. Most of my other fish like her and they don't like me.

Back
Top Bottom