Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2005, 12:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to chabooky386
fiji rock aint turning purple...

my rock wont change colors i add calcium and iodine everyday or every other day. and i havent seen any results its been like 4 months

Old 02-24-2005, 12:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it didn't start purple then it isn't going to turn purple. What color was it when you put it in your tank? In the last 4 months my LR.com rock has turned most of the dry base rock that I had purple. It wouldn't have purpled on its own though. The purple is an algae that has to be introduced to the tank in some way.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

agree with phyl. where did you get the rock? perhaps goto the lfs and get one with lots of coraline (if you can find one) and add it to the tank.

Jim
Old 02-24-2005, 12:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to chabooky386
if i add one in there with a lot of purple will the whole tank slowly develop purple? thanks guys
Old 02-24-2005, 12:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to xahx
or just look harder! lol jk!

Go with the coralined rock, I always pick my rock for shape and color!
Old 02-24-2005, 12:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

iodine be careful with this ! hope your testing what your dosing :-/
Old 02-24-2005, 12:45 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
Or let me know I can scrape some purple off my glass and you can try seeding yoru tank with it. Kill your filters overnight and it should take off. I have way too much of this stuff heh...
Old 02-24-2005, 08:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
hope your testing what your dosing
Good point! That goes for your Ca, ALK (which you didn't mention, but you shouldn't be testing for Ca without Alk and you definitely shouldn't be supplementing without testing both) and Iodine.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:28 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXFirefighter
Or let me know I can scrape some purple off my glass and you can try seeding yoru tank with it. Kill your filters overnight and it should take off. I have way too much of this stuff heh...
If you are serious about this let me know... I definitely am interested in getting some seed material (purple algae) to start my LR... I have about 14 pounds of live rock and about 13 pounds of lace rock in my tank that I would like to get started with this stuff...
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:33 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Is the tank 4 months old? How often do you change water?

And I'll also chime in on the testing. Pls be careful dosing without testing. Adding some coral frags (if doing reef) with well established corraline on them would help with the seeding also IMO.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com