fiji rock aint turning purple...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chabooky386

Aquarium Advice Activist
my rock wont change colors i add calcium and iodine everyday or every other day. and i havent seen any results its been like 4 months

If it didn't start purple then it isn't going to turn purple. :) What color was it when you put it in your tank? In the last 4 months my LR.com rock has turned most of the dry base rock that I had purple. It wouldn't have purpled on its own though. The purple is an algae that has to be introduced to the tank in some way.

agree with phyl. where did you get the rock? perhaps goto the lfs and get one with lots of coraline (if you can find one) and add it to the tank.

Jim

or just look harder! lol jk!

Go with the coralined rock, I always pick my rock for shape and color!

Or let me know I can scrape some purple off my glass and you can try seeding yoru tank with it. Kill your filters overnight and it should take off. I have way too much of this stuff heh...

hope your testing what your dosing

Good point! That goes for your Ca, ALK (which you didn't mention, but you shouldn't be testing for Ca without Alk and you definitely shouldn't be supplementing without testing both) and Iodine.

XXFirefighter said:
Or let me know I can scrape some purple off my glass and you can try seeding yoru tank with it. Kill your filters overnight and it should take off. I have way too much of this stuff heh...

If you are serious about this let me know... I definitely am interested in getting some seed material (purple algae) to start my LR... I have about 14 pounds of live rock and about 13 pounds of lace rock in my tank that I would like to get started with this stuff...

Is the tank 4 months old? How often do you change water?

And I'll also chime in on the testing. Pls be careful dosing without testing. Adding some coral frags (if doing reef) with well established corraline on them would help with the seeding also IMO.

You might be able to get some coraline from your LFS as well, just ask them they might hook you up...I know there is atleast one place on line that will sell you different color plugs of differenttypes of coraline, but I can't find the web page for the life of me

i started out with 45lbs of LR from LR.com[mix between keys and gulf] in august. i added about 30 more lbs of dry lace rock from the fish store in november.. took only about 2-3 months for it to start having coraline growth.. i dont dose anything.

i dont have any fish in there.. just a few crabs
Maybe you should try some rock from LR.com... its awesome! :)

img_347151_0_51ee9d5135e3b20d96e679ead4b91e61.jpg

my tank in the beginning of december [added the dry lace rock in november]

img_347151_1_48d81f4467bc89e63c5807a1dc9d067d.jpg

my tank end of january

liverocks.com :dope: its the way to go ;]

elise i love the way your rock is set up it looks great

chabooky, what type of lighting do you have? Like others have said you should watch what your adding and make sure your parameters are testing out good

as long as your water conditions and lighting are good, and you have something to seed the tank, your going to have a ton of coraline in no time, and eventually you'll get so sick of scraping it off the glass you'll be wish for the good old days when it wouldn't spread like a weed

Back
Top Bottom