Filefish sick? Help :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heathlyng

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How long have you had the fish? Do you know if it was wild caught, or tank raised? Had him for 5 months and he is wild caught

How long has the fish been in the tank? What are the tank mates? Any aggression? He has been in the tank for about 5 months, tank mates are a maroon clown, LTA, a few different LPS, & v-tail grouper. No aggression.

Is the fish eating? If so what does it eat? Yes! He will eat anything I put in the tank, he eats Prime Reef Flakes & Krill

What are the water parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, SPG? (actual numbers please: posting high, average or normal is not helpful) What saltwater test kit are you using?

Phosphate: 0.5 ppm Nitrate: 30 ppm PH: 8.2
Calcium: 500 ppm Nitrite: 0 ppm SPG: 1.023
Alkalinity: 304.3 ppm / 17 °dKh Ammonia: 0 ppm Temp: 80°F

*Using API Saltwater Master Kit

Is the fish showing any physical signs of disease, grain of salt size spots, discoloration, ragged fins, misting or spots on the fins, cuts, cloudy eyes, etc? The only signs I see are what is pictured by his eye.

Is the fish "flashing" (scratching or rubbing on rocks, decorations or substrate)? No
How is the fish acting? Is it swimming around, or just hovering in one spot or corner of the tank? Swimming around, acting completely normal

Did you use quarantine? If so for how long and did you have a need to treat for any ailments? Is it in qt now? Are you currently treating with any medication(s)? No did not QT or treat with anything.

Describe in detail how the fish was acclimated. Floated for temp acclimation and then the drip method to acclimate him to the tank water

What size system? What type of filtration do you use? Do you have any live rock or sand? 55 gal,2 hang-on filters rated for 60 gal with carbon, ceramic rings

Do you use any additives? Have you used any sort of meds in the main tank? Never used meds in the tank, only additives have been calcium once a week

Attachments

• horny.jpg
    horny.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 117
Maybe a cut. I had something very similar on my blue hippo tang. I think he got it from rubbing against a rock while swimming fast. Or does it look like it's above the skin? If it is a cut you could use melafix. Just read up on it first

It doesn't look above the skin but will a cut wrap around his eye like that? Its like a perfect half circle...

I've personally never seen it like that but I wouldn't rule it out, keep a close eye on it make she it doesn't spread

Yea that's what I'm worried about...it spreading on him or others in the tank if it's not just a scratch. Thank you for the feedback!

Back
Top Bottom