Film on top of water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, alright well I went and angled the power head like you said so hopefully it will fix it.

Nice one, it should clear up in no time. And when it does, you can always re-position the powerhead to the way you had it before

One thing to consider...you mentioned adding a CUC to the freshly cycled tank. What are you getting and what are they going to be cleaning? I'm guessing there is no algae yet and no fish means no detritus.

One thing to consider...you mentioned adding a CUC to the freshly cycled tank. What are you getting and what are they going to be cleaning? I'm guessing there is no algae yet and no fish means no detritus.

Well, right now it's just going to be 2 fighting conch and a skunk cleaner shrimp, mabye a few mexican turbos. I will be dropping algae wafers and dried sea weed in every other day. I am staring to notice dark spots in my rock that look a lot like the start of an algae bloom. This tank has been setup since the last week if may and instead of dropping 1 shrimp in, I dropped 3 in to cycle. my salt levels test at 1.24. So everything is good, fully cycled with plenty on BB. :D

The reason I'm getting them already is because I live two hours away from the nearest pet store and I'm not in town often. So probably the next time I'm up there, my tank will be absolutely covered in algae. It's not ideal but it works

The cleaner shrimp will have to be fed they arnt really a part of a cuc. I would actually hold of on the cleaner until you add more life to the tank and it stabilizes. Shrimp are quite sensitive and the cleaners are awsome so I would hate for you to run into problems. Start small, one or two snails and a hermit should do to start. This way you won't have to feed your "clean up crew" to much and it will allow you BB to build up to adding fish. I did this and it worked great for me. A lot of people add way to big of a cuc and in the end most of them die. Start small and add only as needed. After all they poop too. :)

Research the conchs as well if I'm correct they are like a sand sifter and if your tank is new there will be nothing for them to sift. In the end they will starve. I could be wrong though hopefully someone will add to that one. :)

The cleaner shrimp will have to be fed they arnt really a part of a cuc. I would actually hold of on the cleaner until you add more life to the tank and it stabilizes. Shrimp are quite sensitive and the cleaners are awsome so I would hate for you to run into problems. Start small, one or two snails and a hermit should do to start. This way you won't have to feed your "clean up crew" to much and it will allow you BB to build up to adding fish. I did this and it worked great for me. A lot of people add way to big of a cuc and in the end most of them die. Start small and add only as needed. After all they poop too. :)

True, did you ever have any problems with your hermit? I've heard a few horror stories about them. Yea. Fighting conch are sand shifters, that's why I want them. I might hold off on them until later like you said though. My sand is live, I'm not really sure that makes a difference but I'll still put it out there.

No problems with my hermit, the one I have left anyway! I made the mistake of adding 6 in the beginning and they killed each other off until the strongest and biggest one is left standing. They are opportunistic feeders so if given the chance they will kill a weakened individual but so far no issues. As far as the live sand thing ya the bags say live sand but chances are most of the live stuff died off ages ago. It takes time for the micro fauna to grow in the sand bed. My tank is a year old now and I still don't have a sand star or conchs just cause I fear I will kill them. I did have nassarius snails for a while. They don't really shift the sand as so much they airate it or stir it up. They are carnivorus and it quite neat to watch them pop up from the sand when you feed the tank. Now I have moved up to the big boy bulldozer of a pistol shrimp! Now this guy can move sand let me tell ya. He needs his own back up beep. He keeps my sand turned pretty good so the filter picks up most of the stuff. Like I said start small one turbo and a hermit that will get the BB going then a week or two later add a fish or two. What kind of fish you planning on. K I will stut up now. :)

No problems with my hermit, the one I have left anyway! I made the mistake of adding 6 in the beginning and they killed each other off until the strongest and biggest one is left standing. They are opportunistic feeders so if given the chance they will kill a weakened individual but so far no issues. As far as the live sand thing ya the bags say live sand but chances are most of the live stuff died off ages ago. It takes time for the micro fauna to grow in the sand bed. My tank is a year old now and I still don't have a sand star or conchs just cause I fear I will kill them. I did have nassarius snails for a while. They don't really shift the sand as so much they airate it or stir it up. They are carnivorus and it quite neat to watch them pop up from the sand when you feed the tank. Now I have moved up to the big boy bulldozer of a pistol shrimp! Now this guy can move sand let me tell ya. He needs his own back up beep. He keeps my sand turned pretty good so the filter picks up most of the stuff. Like I said start small one turbo and a hermit that will get the BB going then a week or two later add a fish or two. What kind of fish you planning on. K I will stut up now. :)

Nice, alright sounds like a plan. My planned stock is a pair of clowns, a fire fish and a yasha goby/ pistol shrimp pair. Various coral also

Make sure your rock work is on the bottom. The pistol, when you get it, will bulldoze everything! I have mine paired with a YWG great combo. They never leave each others side and they even sleep together. The pistol in a sense "closes the doors" at night and they go night night. :) I have two clowns as well. And a royal gamma. The last one I am waiting for is a cherub angel. Hey back to topic how is the film on top of the water doing?

Back
Top Bottom