Film on top of water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgthebeast

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just added more to/di water and I noticed there's this milky film covering the surface. Should I be worried. There is enough water movement, I'm running a 40-60 hob filter and a 420 power head

Ok, you can kinda see where it's thicker under the light.

Attachments

• image-765407724.jpg
    image-765407724.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 86
Its mostly just dust/dirt particles that accumulated over time. I find that a powerhead pointed towards the surface of the water to make a ripple effect helps avoid this. Its nothing to worry about. Also if you have a hood, keeping the lid closed helps prevent these particles from settling on top of the water.

Yeah I kinda see it... But its hard to tell.. :/

Yeah, it's hard to take a pic. It's looks fine when I take a pic at the surface. But it looks like my filter is breaking it up now so I hope it's gone in alittle bit.

Its mostly just dust/dirt particles that accumulated over time. I find that a powerhead pointed towards the surface of the water to make a ripple effect helps avoid this. Its nothing to worry about. Also if you have a hood, keeping the lid closed helps prevent these particles from settling on top of the water.

Alright, I just got it cycled 2 weeks ago. I was planning to add my CUC either Thursday or Friday and then I saw that. Lol, I just can't win for losing

Yeah, it's hard to take a pic. It's looks fine when I take a pic at the surface. But it looks like my filter is breaking it up now so I hope it's gone in alittle bit.

Any kind of surface agitation is going to help by mixing the particles into the water and allowing them to be filtered out..

Alright, I just got it cycled 2 weeks ago. I was planning to add my CUC either Thursday or Friday and then I saw that. Lol, I just can't win for losing

Yea its nothing to worry about.. If your tank is cycled then you should be fine to add your CUC

Any kind of surface agitation is going to help by mixing the particles into the water and allowing them to be filtered out..

It's a 25 gallon with a 40- 60 hob filter with a 420 gph power head. So that should clear up pretty fast.

It's a 25 gallon with a 40- 60 hob filter with a 420 gph power head. So that should clear up pretty fast.

I'm not saying you don't have enough flow, just saying that having something that constantly breaks the surface of the water helps prevent this :) Even though you have an HOB filter, from the picture you gave, it doesn't look like there's a lot of surface agitation going on which is, IMO, why the milky looking film is there in the first place.

And it's been a month??? Still do some tests ( not dip stick tests) before adding livestock!

Oh, alright well I went and angled the power head like you said so hopefully it will fix it.

Back
Top Bottom