Fin Rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craig.Marchand

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

Bit of background, I recently introduced my first fish a week ago in my 46 gallon tank after cycling the tank for the first time. We introduced 2 clown fish and 1 small yellow tang (at the time I was not aware they required a larger tank).

The yellow tang has been very timid since day 1 and seemed to hide anytime we are around the tank however does swim around anytime we are not right at the Aquarium. It never seems to surface for food and only seems to eat off the live rock. The 2 clown fish seem to be doing well though.

This morning I noticed I noticed what I think might be fin rot but I am still very new to this so I am not sure. It seems odd that it just happened all at once but again I didn't really get a good look at it as it normally hides when I approach the tank (my wife tends to do the same haha).

Here is a picture of the fin:

image-2262108032.jpg

My tank parameters today are the following:
- pH: 8.3
- salinity: 1.021
- ammonia: 0ppm
- nitrite: 0ppm
- nitrate: between 5-10ppm
- temperature: 78

Any ideas? The discoloration on the body is also concerning.

The first picture doesn't really show the fin but its the small fin on the side. This one might give you an idea anyways as you see the one is longer than the other.

image-3178149315.jpg

I don't know about fin rot, but this guy looks pretty skinny. I would be concerned about him eating. Try an algae clip and see if he will eat better. Good nutrition is key to fighting off any disease.

Another question: does he have any tank mates that are picking on him? That is another cause of torn, ragged or short fins.

I don't want to rule out a possible disease. Just offering some obvious things first. Hopefully some experts will chime in too :)

I dont see any fin rot on him. They are herbivores and callen gave some great advice on the dried seaweed. This will help on alot of issues a yellow tang will have.

Thanks for the response. I am going to my LFS today so i will make sure to pick some up to try and get it eating.

As far as the tank mates I have been watching to see if either of the 2 clown fish are picking at him but I haven't noticed. If they were picking at him would he purposely still swim beside them? The tang seems to follow them often.

The brownish color on its side also looks like scratches when looking really close, would they scratch themselves on the love rock for any reason? Ill continue to keep watch for any bullying.

Back
Top Bottom