Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-05-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Exclamation Fin Rot: Mixing Meds??

I have a 12 gallon FOWLR with one tank-bred clown (had 5 months) and one firefish (had two months). Sunday evening I had an unfortunate thermostat malfunction with my heater that went unnoticed for maybe 2 hours I put a new heater in and the fish have been eating and swimming but a little slowly and have been slightly skittish since then. Yesterday morning I noticed a 'bite' out of the firefish's dorsal fin and the tail fins of both fish had minor splits. I saw that the clown had become a little aggressive, particularly about food, so I used a grid divider to keep them apart to ensure they'd both get enough food and to rule out other causes of the damage. As of tonight there has been no further visible damage, but the areas around the injuries of the firefish are now brown and the fin is becoming discolored.
Until Saturday morning I won't be able to treat the fish apart from the live rock. In the meantime I do have Pimafix but no Melafix.
So the question is:
If I treat with Pimafix will it
A) Do any good?
B) React with the treatment I start tomorrow (I happen to have Maracyn-Oxy and Instant Ocean Lifegaurd, but would love suggestions of effective and/or live-rock friendly treatments to get tomorrow).

Thanks for reading through this!
katyg is offline   Reply With Quote

fin, fin rot, mixing, rot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com