Fin Rot: Mixing Meds??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katyg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 12 gallon FOWLR with one tank-bred clown (had 5 months) and one firefish (had two months). Sunday evening I had an unfortunate thermostat malfunction with my heater that went unnoticed for maybe 2 hours :( I put a new heater in and the fish have been eating and swimming but a little slowly and have been slightly skittish since then. Yesterday morning I noticed a 'bite' out of the firefish's dorsal fin and the tail fins of both fish had minor splits. I saw that the clown had become a little aggressive, particularly about food, so I used a grid divider to keep them apart to ensure they'd both get enough food and to rule out other causes of the damage. As of tonight there has been no further visible damage, but the areas around the injuries of the firefish are now brown and the fin is becoming discolored.
Until Saturday morning I won't be able to treat the fish apart from the live rock. In the meantime I do have Pimafix but no Melafix.
So the question is:
If I treat with Pimafix will it
A) Do any good?
and
B) React with the treatment I start tomorrow (I happen to have Maracyn-Oxy and Instant Ocean Lifegaurd, but would love suggestions of effective and/or live-rock friendly treatments to get tomorrow).

Thanks for reading through this!

Back
Top Bottom