Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-05-2003, 07:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

fin rot possibly?

my flame angel's right fin has a slight white coloration in the middle of it and i noticed the ends of the fin is beginning to rot away, hes favoring using his other fin( which appears perfect as well as his tail).

What can I do to treat this, would doing a 25% water change help to fix this?
Thanks.

Old 12-05-2003, 10:57 PM   #2
steve-s

More often simple water changes and ensuring properly fortified foods are used will help clear up common fin rot issues. Using meds on something like this should be a last resort. Instead of a large 25% change, I would suggest 2-3 smaller 15% changes spaced a few days apart. Lowering the DOC and other pollutants will allow the fish's natural immune system to get the upper hand while it also reduces the available food sources feeding the bacteria...

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-06-2003, 12:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

do you think the white coloration on his fin is due to fin rot as well? it doesnt really look like a fungus cause its not really too thick or dark it looks like its just whited out a bit
Old 12-06-2003, 12:29 AM   #4
steve-s

I have noticed that will happen from time to time with fish but in my own tank, the "spots" will generally be gone in the next day or two. I am actually not possitive what they truely are except to guess some sort of bruising or possibley excess protein.

If the spot gets larger or takes on texture you may need to quarantine and treat for fungus but I am fairly confidant that with the water changes and properly fortified diet, it should clear up on it's own...

Cheers
Steve

Tags
fin, fin rot, rot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com