fin rot possibly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scubasteve

Aquarium Advice Activist
my flame angel's right fin has a slight white coloration in the middle of it and i noticed the ends of the fin is beginning to rot away, hes favoring using his other fin( which appears perfect as well as his tail).

What can I do to treat this, would doing a 25% water change help to fix this?
Thanks.

More often simple water changes and ensuring properly fortified foods are used will help clear up common fin rot issues. Using meds on something like this should be a last resort. Instead of a large 25% change, I would suggest 2-3 smaller 15% changes spaced a few days apart. Lowering the DOC and other pollutants will allow the fish's natural immune system to get the upper hand while it also reduces the available food sources feeding the bacteria...

Cheers
Steve

do you think the white coloration on his fin is due to fin rot as well? it doesnt really look like a fungus cause its not really too thick or dark it looks like its just whited out a bit

I have noticed that will happen from time to time with fish but in my own tank, the "spots" will generally be gone in the next day or two. I am actually not possitive what they truely are except to guess some sort of bruising or possibley excess protein.

If the spot gets larger or takes on texture you may need to quarantine and treat for fungus but I am fairly confidant that with the water changes and properly fortified diet, it should clear up on it's own...

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom