fin/tail rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melissfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
my dwarf lionfish has developed a hole in his tail and it looks to be getting worse. Tank conditions are good only nitrates a bit high at 15, i just added nitrate sponge to help with this. It first looked like a cigarette burn hole in the centre, now it has split away from the body and separated at the bottom of his tail. I cant see any other symptoms, redness is not present or not visible cause he is red, he is eating ok, and otherwise looks normal. Shall i just maintain excellent water quality, or do i need to medicate him or give him vitamins. He eats mainly guppies and freshwater feeders or frozen whitebait. If i feed him more SW live food will this help him heal , and is nutrition and water quality the way to treat this. TIA

Several large water changes (25-40%) with aged (24hrs) sw should get your doc and nitrates down. This will also greatly reduce the bacteria causing the fin rot and he should start to improve within several weeks. Just keep up on the frequent water changes for a few months and no medications are generally needed for him to heal :wink:

Back
Top Bottom