Final Destination 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
Not too terribly long ago, I found one of the yellow-head eels on the floor. He was alive and recovered completely from his experience. The next day, I took off the glass tops and made it all an egg crate top. I secured the eggcrate and it was tight against the tank...all except for one small square that I used for feeding. This is replaced after each feeding and a brick placed on top of it. Apparently, it was Mr Eels time to go. He dislodged the brick and as near as I can figure, pushed the eggcrate enough where he was able to get out and the eggcrate "hatch" fell back into place. I found him on the floor, dead. The eggcrate looking normal but the brick was on the ground. At first, the brick not being there didnt dawn on me, but as I was peeling the eel off the floor, I noticed it was not where I put it when I feed (on the fireplace). So, that is my best guess and sometimes fate steps in and waylays our best plans.

Wow! So far my glass tops have held my yellow goldentail in but I'd be one sad momma if anything happened to him. How big was your eel?!

Our eel goofed on us the other night as he swam over the edge of the overflow box into it. For a moment I wondered how I would get him out of there! My husband was thinking he got out all together and was wondering how we would get him off of the floor behind the tank!

Much to our surprise he swam out as gracefully as he swam in and left us both wondering how often he swims into that box!

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Phyl said:
How big was your eel?!

roughly 2 ft long and he was heavy enough that my plastic dustpan handle broke while I was carrying him.

Sorry, Hara, that is terrible news. :(

I was wondering how an eel could move a brick, but after reading your last post, I understand now. I hope the rest of the tank is ok.

Hara, that is really weird.. Was it one of the fimbriated eels.. A full brick seems a little hefty for a 2 footer to push a brick off the tank.. Im a little upset myself to see the eel go, but Ive never had any problems with mine; I'm considering it may be a species related thing because my eels do not try at all to get out. Are you going to replace him/her or not worry about it?

this eel weighed a ton...it had more than enough weight behind it I guess. It was one of the fimbriated. I am not going to replace it. I really do not think the remaining fimbriated would tolerate another eel, the snowflake wouldnt care, but this one would.

interesting.. my zebra weighs quite abit but he is roughly 3 1/2 - 4ft..

how big is the other fimbriated? same size? i'd suggest another smaller eel, but u know it better than i do, so thats a little sad to see you cant replace it.

i just dont understand the theory behind eels escaping, like i said my eels have never tried, but my zebra does get curious and stick his head out of the water, but as soon as it realises it cant breathe, it goes back under..

i guess its just one of those things we do not have answers for..!

Back
Top Bottom