Finger leather polyps not opening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marquis

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my finger leather had not been opening much the polyps sometimes peek their heads out a bit but nothing like b4 it still expands its fingers and it is def growing bigger seems healthy just not opening my water is fine all other coral is doing great I'll past pics when my tank wakes up

I woul like to see pics, but maybe it has too much flow? It needs medium flow and medium to high lighting.

Does it have the right amount of flow? Experiment and move it around because i moved mine and it didnt open for 2 days then i moved it to a place with more flow and it was ipen an hour later... Good luck

That's the thing its attached to a large peice of dead coral skelton id rather direct flow to it... Your thinking, not enough? It doesn't get much I just find it weird polyps never come out but its growing, more and more

How long have you had it? What changes have you done to the tank since?
New lighting? New bulbs?
Water changes?
Parameters?

My water is fine only change is bigger tank and it was under duel t8 now duel t5 mid tank

So, different water, different lighting, different placement, different flow. Well, it's one of those things.

Iv had it about 2 years its been under new lights and in new tank for almost a year it under stronger flow for the second day now no change... Guy at the lfs said it could just be getting more then enough food

More than enough food? How did he come to that conclusion? That is definitely not the reason. Corals retract their polyps because they are stressed by something. Leathers do shed a layer of skin from time to time, but this doesn't appear to be what's going on. If that was happening, it would look more brownish than usual. I have a long polyp toadstool that extends it's polyps about 80% of the time. Every so often it shows no polyps at all for a few hours, and I can't figure out why this happens.

Did anything just happen? maybe a few days before this incident? have you recently changed bulbs or maybe the corals position? maybe 2 weeks ago?

Its been in the same spot for many months my lights are about 4 months old or lil less its not been opening for longer than that but has almost doubled in size he said bc it opens its polyps to feed it may not be hungry

Where do u have your toad stools placed i just bought a colony

they don't have brains. They don't know if they are hungry.
My toadstool is towards the bottom of my tank in a medium flow.

Frog spawn, elegance coral, green chalice coral, ton of yellow polyps zoas mushrooms ricordia gsp mini carpets all doing well

I didn't think so i only have a duel 4 foot t5 but its just about half way so figured it should be fine

Marquis said:
I didn't think so i only have a duel 4 foot t5 but its just about half way so figured it should be fine

The leather is just over half way to the top of tank i mean

Back
Top Bottom