Fire fish has badly nipped fin.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait54

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok today my fish were fine I fed them everyone looked great I took a look to see where everyone was sleeping cause I got a new RG since my old one died cause he lost his tail I thought It got nipped by a clownfish and it got infected and the rest fell off.

So I look at my fire fish that did have a nipped fin (thought it was a clown) now is missing a huge chunk. I saw there was a hermit close by. Could it have been a hermit? It's a blue legged hermit.

Please help

So sorry..must be very disappointing. I doubt it was the hermit crab. The firefish would probably dart before the crab got it...and they aren't really violent with fish, that I've seen or read about. Maybe it was that new royal gramma you added?

obscurereef said:
So sorry..must be very disappointing. I doubt it was the hermit crab. The firefish would probably dart before the crab got it...and they aren't really violent with fish, that I've seen or read about. Maybe it was that new royal gramma you added?

Maybe but who nipped the grammas tail when it died? This is confusing ;(

Oh sorry wasn't clear that the RG died too :L...hmm a really huge fireworm? So what is in your tank including the CUC?

obscurereef said:
Oh sorry wasn't clear that the RG died too :L...hmm a really huge fireworm? So what is in your tank including the CUC?

2 clowns
Blue spot goby/ tiger shrimp
Red fire fish
RG
2x blue legged hermit
2x red legged hermit
1x Mexican turbo
8x assorted snails.

The tiger shrimp is more likely to shoot the fish and then eat it than just nip at it's tail. Why use a knife when you got a gun?
Why are you sure it's not one of the clowns? If the other fish get too close to an area they are hosting, they would bite. Heck, they bite people who sick their huge arms too close to their area! And they draw blood. Clowns are cute and I love mine, but I wouldn't rule them out so quickly. They do have teeth, they're small, but they have 'em.

Beengirl said:
Also, did you use any LR in your tank? Maybe you have an angry hitchhiker?

Idk he hangs out with the clowns he did so all day yesterday. Even right now he's sitting in the middle of the tank floating and the clowns just swim by him.

I'm hoping its a hitchhiker cause I really like my pistol shrimp.

How can I know for sure?

Couple more pics! This is weird!!! He's swimming fine it seems and it's not as bad as I first thought. Poor little guy hope he heals fast.

But that still leaves the nipper!

Attachments

• image-3370710591.jpg
    image-3370710591.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 89
  • image-345994906.jpg
    image-345994906.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 89
Back
Top Bottom