Fireball angel not eating!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've just added a fireball angel to my tank, and he seems to be doing fine (looking healthy, swimming around etc.). But, he's not eaten in the 4 days he's been in my tank.

He just doesn't seem bothered for the food (gamma/mysis/brineshrimp soaked in vits and garlic).

However, he's constantly (all day) picking the rock, sand and glass for algae.

What should I do?

:)

Clip some dried seaweed or nori for him on the glass. You could also try soaking the food in some galic extract to entice him to eat. I've never heard of a fireball angel. Is it a dwarf? Like the flame angel?

Cool, I've got some Nori.

How much would you put in (size of sheet) and how long shall I leave it in for?

It's a dwarf angel - also known as flameback angel. He's a nice little fella - haven't seen one before in my LFSs!

Doesn't he need his meat too though? :)

Ah, I know what the flameback is. lol I would put just a small piece in, maybe a inch square. It can be left in all day long. Yes, it should have a variety but, if it is eating the nori, at least it's getting substance. I figure with these small angels, they take what they need. I have a CB who loves flake food and doesn't even pick at the nori (but I put it in anyway). So, it may depend on the fish and it's mood.

I'm guessing just picking at the algae on the rock and sand won't be enough to sustain it though?

But surely if he was hungry he'd go for the food I've been putting in (soaked in garlice extreme and vits)?

I read somewhere Nori should be taken out after about 2 hours so as not to contaminate the tank?

Does dried seaweed ever go off?? There doesn't seem to be a best before date on it. I opened the packet a few months ago and resealed it. I guess it'll be ok?

I would guess it would be ok. I only have one angel so I've had my nori for a few months also. Also, I leave it in for most of the day and it doesn't degrade my water. As for your fish, I'm not sure if it would get enough from the rocks to sustain it. I'd keep offering just in case.

No probs, it just says on the packet to keep in for a couple of hours. I'll give it a shot tonight!

Well, I left the Nori in for 4 hours, and my shrimp and crabs jumped straight on it!

None of the other fish, including the angel, even went near it, let alone ate it. This was even when the shrimp/crabs weren't eating it and it was "free".

He still seems fairly merry, swimming all around the tank picking at algae (which I do have a lot of!).

Will try again tonight.

Put some Nori in again tonight, and he didnt go near it again!

Perhaps he really is getting enough from the algae in my tank?

I didn't realize you had an abundance of algae so perhaps it is getting enough. I'd keep offering it anyway just in case. Even if you don't offer it every day, them maybe over other day.

Cool, I'll do that.

He should want meat as well though shouldn't he?? Or is he content with just the algae?

I'm a little concerned about him, he's still not eaten anything including the Nori.

Will he really have enough to eat with just the algae in my tank??

I really don't know. Does he look thin? You said you are seeing it picking the rocks. Maybe it is eating pods as well as the algae.

Well, he's just died :(

Looked fine until now - he's been in a week, and in that time he's been merrily swimming about, picking at stuff, not a care in the world. But not eating of course.

Today was the first day he looked "off". Right from this morning, he wasn't picking at algae - just swimming all round the tank very strangely, spinning round, occasionally lying on the bottom then darting up etc.

All other fish are ok and levels are fine (just tested) so I can only assume it was a problem with the fish, or acclimation.

Are Fireball angels usually hardy? And do they usually eat frozen foods offered to them as well as just grazing the algae? Just wondering whether to get another one thats all, or if you think this fish isnt good for my tank.

Could be you just got a bad fish. But, I would be sure it's eating at the lfs before purchasing another. Have them feed them.
Sorry for your loss. Be comforted in that you did all you could for it. Sometimes it's out of our hands.

Thanks :) I think I'll try another one and ask to see it eat.

Would you wait a while before getting another fish, or will I be ok to get another one tomorrow?

Back
Top Bottom