Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Firefish and hammer coral dying!

I have a biocube 29 and in it there is 2 ocellaris clownfish, 1 wheelers watchman goby, a midas blenny, a flame angel and a firefish goby and a hammer coral. So first I woke up to see my firefish goby hiding which she never does, I noticed that her dorsal fin was a lot thinner and looked bitten. I put some melafix in for his fin to help it. He is out and about now but I don't know what to do and my midas blenny isn't very dominant and every time he goes near the firefish goby he runs away. Second, yesterday I woke up and my hammer coral was dying, there are two peices that are connected and today the bigger one has white stuff on it and the smaller peice looks absolutley gorgeous! I don't know what to do because we have a major blizzard and so I cant go anywhere.I did a 25% water change and checked my water everything perfect. PLEASE HELP! here are pictures
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i....1&disp=thd&zw theres a link to a picture of the hammer coral. PLEASE HELP! Im in a panic and I realize I am overstocked but what can I do now? What do you suggest? PLEASE HELP!

Old 02-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Moved to Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #3

sorry im new to this...
Old 02-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
is back to save the day!

Try posting the picture of the hammer coral on this site, as I can't login to gmail to see it, sorry.

Also, have you tested your water chemistry yet? Checked for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates? Because chances are, with that many fish, you're having some water chemistry problems. Are your test kits expired?

Also, from your description it doesn't really sound like too much is going on. If only a couple things are looking bad, it could just be them and not the whole tank. How are you other fish acting? Is everyone still eating and swimming normally?
Old 02-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #5

Everyone is doing fine except everytime I come the midas blenny turns brown and swims in a corner I tested my water yesterday and I have the API one. It is not expired and I have no idea how to post a picture.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #6

the test kit said everything is perfect. Should I just return the midas blenny? He seems very stressed out
Old 02-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
is back to save the day!

Well, if you have the picture on your desktop, just upload it to this site: imageshack.com and post the link, I'll show you how to post pictures from there if you would like some help.

How new is the blenny to your tank? It could be that he is still pretty shy around you, and the color change is pretty normal for that blenny. They usually change colors when there stress levels are affected.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:15 AM   #8

he is about 1 week and a half. I downloaded the picture onto my desktop and its still giving me a link. I have a macbook so thats probably why..... And should I return the firefish because all she does is hide now...
Old 02-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #9
is back to save the day!

One week isn't a lot of time to get used to his surroundings. He is most likely still getting used to your presence, as is the firefish. I would most definitely say give the fish some more time to get comfortable in their surroundings.

How long has your tank been running, and how far apart were your fish purchases? Or did you just buy them all at once?
Old 02-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I rarely see my firefish, she just hides in a series of rock holes. lol I too would say to give it awhile.

Tags
coral, dyi, dying, firefish, hammer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com