Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-07-2004, 06:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Firefish Feeding problems

Hi There

My new firefish goby will only eat live brine shrimp, he eats it like there is no tomorrow. But when I try and feed it flakes (New Life Spectrum Optimum Salt h2o Flakes) he chews them and spits it out or just lets it sink. How can I get my fish to make the switch from live to prepared flakes?

DeepCutta720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 06:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Try frozen brine. Just keep feeding it and hopefully it will take it over time.

9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 10:38 AM   #3
Re: Firefish Feeding problems

Originally Posted by DeepCutta720
he chews them and spits it out or just lets it sink.
Could be the morsel size is too large and the fish can't swallow. Try crushing the foods to a smaller size and see if that helps.

Old 11-12-2004, 03:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
My firefish doesn't like flakes or small pelets either. He eats brine shrimp like no tomorrow, and has gotten to like the taste of Formula One (the frozen stuff). My clowns love that stuff
55g reef, 2x250W 10k MH + 2x96W PC actninc, 10g sump, AquaC Urchin skimmer, 65lbs LR

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 08:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
Firefish will not redily accept flakes. I had a firefish and it ate Nutramax Slow Sinking Morsels. None of my fish ate the flakes. And also when they do sink to the bottom they stay there and don't get sucked in to the filter to decay and create an ammonia spike. What the fish dont eat the hermit crabs finish so they are pretty good.

This is what it looks like. http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...roduct=HG16232

20 Gallon Long, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, 3 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, 1 Carpet Anemone, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 20 LBS of LS and about 6 LBS of LR.

Marineland Millenium HOB Filter.
Marineland Seaclone 100 Skimmer.
Powersweep PH
2 10,000k HO
2 Actinic HO
gozetec02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
My fireFish will eat very small bits of Formula 2 flake, but prefers defrosted Brine & mysis shrimp

Cheers Shelton.
30gal tank, 20kgs Fiji + 4kgs Madagascan LR, bare bottom, 2 x Maxijets 900, AquaC Remora skimmer, 10W D&D UV using a spraybar on surface for return,Maxijet 600 + spraybar behind LR, Ecco 2234 running RowaPhos/GAC, 150w visitherm.
Custom Built lid; 2 x T5 megatwin (4x39W Aquablue+); 4 moonlights.

IKS with temp & PH probes, controlling lights,heat & cooling fans.

Percula Clown; Banggai Cardinal; Firefish; Mandarin
2 Cleaner Shrimps; 3 Peppermint Shrimps; 1 Blood Shrimp
1 Large Feather Duster; 1 Hard Tube Coco Worm; Yellow Cucumber.
6 Red Legged Hermits; 1 Green Emerald Crab; 16 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits; 3 Zebra Hermits; 3 Popsock Hermits
22 Turbo/Astrae Snails; 20 IO Snails
Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:41 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
my firefish eats brine and Mysis but has also been known to eat pellets as well.
72Gallon Bow Tank | LS/80lbs LR.com Keys LR 20Lbs Base Rock | fluval404 | Remora Skimmer | Red Sea Pro Wave Maker | 4 Maxi Jets 2/1200 2/900 PH | PinPoint PH Monitor | ARTICA 1/10 HP Chiller

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:07 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive finally got my firefish eating New Life Optimum Spectrum flakes. It took 5 days of training him by slowly reducing the live brine and transitioning to flake. That flake food has appeared to breath new life in to my little firefish. His dorsal fin is almost always up now and his colors have become noticeably brighter. The website said they have a ten day gaurantee which I thought was just a gimmick but this food actually seems to do what they claim.
DeepCutta720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:44 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
As far as my firefish goes, I'm having similar problems, little guy is just addicted to the copepods..

Corty is offline   Reply With Quote

feeding, firefish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com