Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-21-2005, 11:36 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
check your nitrates often. add iodide so they can molt.
NO3 can be an issue with inverts. I would be very leary of adding iodine unless you are testing for it. Some invets do require this in small amounts to promot molting but regular and frequent water changes can keep levels up where they need to be. It is not good practice to add anything to your tank that you do not test for.

Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 11:56 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
Just to throw in my 2 cents worth here. It's due to acclimation. I killed my first 2 peppermint shrimps by only acclimating for just over an hour. After , what I thought was a good enough time for acclimation, my shrimps died in 2 hours. All water params were perfect. I went back to the LFS and purchased 2 more shrimp.
But, this time I acclimated them with a slow drip for 4 hours. This was 2 months ago and my shrimp are still fine to this day!
Inverts are very sensitive to salinity changes, especially rapid ones in my case. I tested the LFS water with the shrimps in it, the SG was 1.020. My tank is at 1.025. The slow drip and acclimation took four hours cause I wanted the water the shrimp were in to match the exact temperature and SG of my tank.

4 hours may seem a bit excessive, but I didn't want to do another 3 hour round trip to my closest not so Local Fish Store!

29gal BB | 42+ lbs LR | 143watts PC | Asst. Leathers, Frogspawn, Hammer, XLG Open Brain, Zoanthids, Mushrooms, Diploastrea heliopora | Blue Mandarin | Atrosalarias Fuscus | Pair Captive Bred Ocellaris Clowns | Peppermint Shrimp | 6 Astrea's |
Smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 12:01 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to aquafreak Send a message via MSN to aquafreak Send a message via Yahoo to aquafreak
good call, lando -- thanks.

sorry to hear about the shrimp. i'm concerned about my fire shrimp too but he's hanging in there just fine.

my aquarium guy says that they either last or just don't. i've been feeding a variety of foods and he seems to steal all of them....pretty comical, he'll sneak out and snag them from the fish and go hide....get a kick out of it.

get another one soon -- Smo's gig is good too. think that i drip acclimated mine. want to get a starfish but afraid this will happen.

aquafreak is offline   Reply With Quote

die, died, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com