First Acropora bleaching?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gleach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently bought a acropora frag it was acclimating beautifully to my lights when suddenly my return pump seased up and since my heaters are located in my sump my tank temp plummeted to somewhere in the sixty° range it could have been a few days that it was not circulating cause it just happened to happen during the holidays of course, just my luck. So I replaced the pump and lost 1 my flame Angel. Now everything seems to be coming back but my acro is just barley hanging in there I was forced to move it because I was having some issues with my leather coral stinging my monti cause me to. Rerockscape half my tank. My acro lost all color but one tip on one colony and the yellow one is barley hanging in. Any suggestions on nursing it back?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Keep good water quality and watch for rtn/ stn. If it starts to lose flesh frag above the last dead part

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not familiar with rtn/Stan? I also found a crab in it identified it as a bad guy for that type of coral I think it May have been part of the decline I removed it.

Rtn is rapid tissue necrosis and stn is slow tissue necrosis. Basically the coral will just lose all it's flesh

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Does anyone know anything about uv lighting requirements for corals? I was reading that most corals don't care for uv? I was curious if acros like it cause I heard that some are know to grow near the surface where uv is a bit more intense.

Ultraviolet light is detrimental to corals. What people are calling UV light are simply violet colored lamps. They are closer to 400nm, so your corals will utilize the light, but they are not necessary, and won't do anything for bringing your acro back.
True ultraviolet light is below 400 nm, and nothing should be exposed to this light. This is why your UV sterilizer is completely enclosed- to protect you and other living creatures from the harmful ultraviolet light.

Hmm... good point. I was reading that blues and whites are really all that's necessary to grow corals?

You don't even need the whites if you have enough blue, but yes, that's all you need. You have the taotronics or similar fixtures right? They are plenty of light for whatever you want.

You guys are making me think about turning my whites way down and kicked up mu blues a bit.

Back
Top Bottom