Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2006, 10:45 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

it's the coral sun and reef sun bulbs listed here: http://www.zoomed.com/html/lites.php

that's all the info I have.

Anyway...one polyp was open this morning, so hooray, it's alive!

it closed up after I turned on my light. Could it have too much light?

Old 07-14-2006, 06:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats just a regular flourescent bulb IMO not going to be enough for corals. You need PC, VHO or MH to keep corals. I don't see that coral lasting long. Maybe some low light corals will do ok under that light.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:25 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

I moved him down on to the bottom of the tank on Friday night, and Saturday morning, 3 polyps were open.

Today, 4 polyps.

So, it is progressing on a daily basis. I guess it prefers less light? The polyps close shortly after I turn the light on, so assumed it likes shade, so now it's on the bottom.

I will post more pics in a week or two, once a lot of polyps have openned. Hopefully there will be a better shot at identifying it once it's open.

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2006, 12:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would put it as close as possible to the light, you have insufficient lighting!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:40 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have no idea what it is but it could just be nocturnally feeding, or trying to feed. either way, there is no way your lighting is TOO STRONG. the coral is probably just adjusting to the tank and new water parameters.

check it out at night to see whats going on with it. maybe see if it would feed , brine shrimp maybe??? hard to say , thats a strange looking coral.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:52 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I have never seen that...interesting.

It is slightly possible that it is not photosynthetic and requires direct feeding, but who knows.

Oh, btw, I've added you to the Michigan/Wisconsin forum Ineubis.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:06 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks

Well, the coral is doing great...8-9 tips open in the morning now. Will need to take some updated pictures when I first turn the light on.

The closest thing I have found trying to ID it is: Cladocora arbuscula or Cladocora Cespitosa (most likely the first one), which are types of Tube coral.

Says it will eat live plankton, and prefers cold water. ( >64° )... although a fellow hobbyist of mine has a Red Coral, that books say require >61°... that he's keeping at 76 and it's doing great!

I will try to give it a direct feeding when the light is off and alot of tentacles are open.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:06 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck with it! Keep us updated.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:13 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thats weird because when your at a fish store they have to take the coral out of the tank and when you put it into you main tank you have to take it out. You dot want the fish stores water in your tank.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:59 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have finally ID'd this!

Snake Polyp (Isaurus tuberculatus)

http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_...catid=2157&N=0

Quote:
Snake Polyps are colony polyps with very long tubular bases with white feathery ends. They resemble many species of polyps in the Protopalythoa genus. Snake Polyps are photosynthetic but will normally only show their feathery polyps during nighttime hours when the lights are off. They make an interesting addition to a reef aquarium and will add a diversity of form.

Snake Polyps are peaceful in nature, but space between their own colony and other corals and invertebrates should be provided to protect them. They require a moderate to high light level combined with a medium water movement within the aquarium. For continued good health, they also require the addition of iodine and other trace elements to the water.

They will reproduce in the reef aquarium on their own by budding (splitting off a portion of their base or mouth), if adequate water quality parameters are maintained.

The symbiotic algae zooxanthellae hosted within their bodies provide some of their nutritional requirements through photosynthesis. The remainder of their nutritional requirements will need to be provided in the form of regular weekly feedings of zooplankton or brine shrimp.
I purchased Kent Iodine, Strontium/Molybdenum, Liquid Calcium, and Essential Elements, and a few of the polyps openned a little....even with the light on.

I will move it back up top, so it's closer to the light for photosynthesis purposes, but that's a bummer about the night-time thing...

Oh well, I'm glad I finally found out what it is.

Feel free to move this to the Identification thread, as it is not a "sick or dying coral"

Thanks!

Tags
coral, first coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com