Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2004, 10:10 PM   #101
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
I just can't imagine how the 2 actinics with the whites will affect the look of my tank...less white I guess! And perhaps even less bright (more blue and soothing?)? Will it definitely be an improvement with the actinics and whites on at the same time though - ie. I'll think "wow that's really good"?
I personally think you'll be happier with the look but the proof in the pudding so to speak. The upside is, if you don't really find it's what you want the actinics can easily be replaced with whites once they wear out. No harm, no foul

Quote:
The button polyps are Protopalythoa sp. by the way
You should see a definate benefit in time then.

Quote:
What would you recommend then - running the carbon just one day a week or 24/7? Which is better?
Personaly I run carbon or a polyfilter in all my tanks 24/7. The decision is really one you need to make for yourself. IMO, the benefits of it's use far outweight any negative implications of which there are few and none that will damage the tank in any way.

Quote:
And, re. filter: how long is the filter ok to be empty of water (for the bacteria/balls etc.)?
As long as the media remains wet and does not get too cold/hot, it should be just fine for a few hours.

Quote:
There's quite a bit of detritus building up in the outside wet/dry part. But I've read in the manual that this compartment should never be opened up...what do you think? It's the part circled below.
Can't help you there. I've never seen the wet/dry side attachment in person.

Quote:
Any suggestions for my final fish?
Other than being reef safe and not getting larger than about 3" or so, no I don't. Why not look around the internet and decide on about 5 fish and post a wish list.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-11-2004, 10:13 PM   #102
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okie...I'll get the actinics!

Even if I don't get any corals (haven't decided yet! I really like the dwarf angels, amongst other points :P), I'll still get them.

Do you think the extra lighting (the actinics with my whites) will cause more problems with algae (other than what I have now ?

Old 10-11-2004, 10:17 PM   #103
steve-s

Quote:
Do you think the extra lighting (the actinics with my whites) will cause more problems with algae (other than what I have now ?
Increasing wattage can cause additional algae issues but since it's just the addition of actinics you shouldn't have any real increase. If anything, most algaes do quite poorly in "actinic only" lighting with the exception of coralline.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-11-2004, 10:18 PM   #104
Aquarium Advice Addict

Steve: so basically if I empty the water out of my filter, take the media baskets out straight away and put them straight into the bowl of tank water, then straight back into the filter (and fill it up again) when I've done, I'll be ok?

I'm doing a waterchange on Thursday...can I keep a bowl full of some of the old tankwater (that I'd be throwing out) for a day until Friday when I clean my filter...the bowl wouldn't be heated or aerated though or anything of course. I'd just be putting a lid over it - will it be ok to rinse the filter balls in this water even though it'll be cold and just sat there doing nothing for 24 hours?
Old 10-11-2004, 10:18 PM   #105
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't bother upgrading your lighting unless you are getting corals. Spend the money on LR instead.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:21 PM   #106
Aquarium Advice Addict

Atari: I don't mind upgrading the lighting if it's going to make my tank look a lot better overall, even without corals!
Old 10-11-2004, 10:25 PM   #107
steve-s

Quote:
Steve: so basically if I empty the water out of my filter, take the media baskets out straight away and put them straight into the bowl of tank water, then straight back into the filter (and fill it up again) when I've done, I'll be ok?
That would be fine

Quote:
I'm doing a waterchange on Thursday...can I keep a bowl full of some of the old tankwater (that I'd be throwing out) for a day until Friday when I clean my filter...the bowl wouldn't be heated or aerated though or anything of course. I'd just be putting a lid over it - will it be ok to rinse the filter balls in this water even though it'll be cold and just sat there doing nothing for 24 hours?
Why not just wait until Friday or Saturday and do both at the same time. One day more or less for the water change won't make any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari
I wouldn't bother upgrading your lighting unless you are getting corals. Spend the money on LR instead.
Agreed

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-11-2004, 10:26 PM   #108
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I was you I'd buy a single actinic tube and replace one of your white tubes to see how you like the look... it won't be as bright but it should look very similar to how the 4 tubes would look.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 04:01 PM   #109
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okie

Steve: my LFS says only to rinse a portion of the media balls at once, and not do them all at the same time?

And, in The Concientious...it says that a juvenille regal or yellow tang can get along in a smaller tank, but he recommends a 50g (US gals.) tank for a growing tang (which is about 40 imp. gals.).

Perhaps if I switch from the regal tang to the yellow tang as my final fish (as it doesn't get as big) - what do you think?
Old 10-12-2004, 06:27 PM   #110
Aquarium Advice Addict

And, will it definitely be better to switch my photoperiod from 2pm - 2am (as it is now), to 12pm - 12am with moonlights from 12am - 3am and 9am - 12pm?

Will my fish get more of a rest with the 12-12 times, and possibly get less stressed because their day is shorter (taking into consideration the natural light before the main tank lights come on)?

And, with the new proposed lighting, there'd only be 6 hours with no lights on at all (no moonlights). Is this enough? Or would you just put the moonlights on late at night (12am - 3am) and not put them on in the morning before the mains come on?

Tags
coral, corals, first coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com