Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2004, 06:59 PM   #111
Aquarium Advice Addict

My moonlights are on 24/7.. and the fish have no problems sleeping with them on all night. It only becomes an issue if you have too many LED's and it's very bright.

Stick with the photoperiod that works best for you.. don't worry about natural light etc.. The important thing is to keep a consistent cycle that's roughly equal to nature.. ie 10-12 hrs light per day.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 07:37 PM   #112
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool - so the moonlights are neither here nor there basically, they're just for me (so the tank is lit up a bit), they won't affect the fish at all if they're on, so the fish could be in complete darkness or have the moonlights on, they're not bothered?

It'll be 4 LEDs (9" apart). I can adjust the brightness by lowering the voltage of course - how will I know what the correct brightness to use is though? As long as it's "dull" and not "very bright" I should be ok?

I'll do 12.30pm - 12.30am, moonlights from 12.30am - 3am, then moonlights from 9.30am - 12pm.

Old 10-12-2004, 10:33 PM   #113
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
my LFS says only to rinse a portion of the media balls at once, and not do them all at the same time?
:censor: :censor: LFS :censor:

They most likely figure you are going to actually clean them when if fact all you are doing is rinsing them in removed SW from the tank. This will not result in any issues as the bacteria will remain intact. Only if scrubbing or rinsing in FW will bacteria levels be affected.

Quote:
And, in The Concientious...it says that a juvenille regal or yellow tang can get along in a smaller tank, but he recommends a 50g (US gals.) tank for a growing tang (which is about 40 imp. gals.).

Perhaps if I switch from the regal tang to the yellow tang as my final fish (as it doesn't get as big) - what do you think?
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist is an excellent general reference book but on this point I completely disagree. A tang is a tang is a tang. Minimum space must be observed for any large fish and consideration for all fish kept must be considered. If you had the larger tank and it was just a matter of time to set up I would say go for it but the tank is a "future mabye" and nothing definate.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-13-2004, 01:39 AM   #114
Aquarium Advice Freak

Greetings,
I disagree with the assertion that salt mix (via water changes) is reliable for trace elements to be at good levels. I followed that rule as well and had suffering corals. I took a sample to my lfs and found my Ca (calcium) was only 200! Yes I do biweekly 20% water changes. It seems some salt mixes simply do not do what they claim. Make sure if keeping corals you at least have the Ca level tested so you know what your salt mix is doing for you. Maybe your salt will be adequate, maybe not. IMO, a Ca test is good practice before getting any corals, not just before dosing. My corals are better now..I am dosing. HTH
Old 10-13-2004, 09:44 AM   #115
Aquarium Advice Addict

The saltmix WILL keep trace elements in balance.. Ca is not a trace element IMO.

Old 10-13-2004, 02:59 PM   #116
Aquarium Advice Addict

Steve: I'm just going to tip the balls out of the 2 media baskets (1 basket at a time) into a bowl containing the SW from my tank. Swish them round a bit with my hand etc. That ok?
Old 10-13-2004, 04:21 PM   #117
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
That ok?

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-13-2004, 04:55 PM   #118
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgetz
Greetings,
I disagree with the assertion that salt mix (via water changes) is reliable for trace elements to be at good levels. I followed that rule as well and had suffering corals. I took a sample to my lfs and found my Ca (calcium) was only 200! Yes I do biweekly 20% water changes. It seems some salt mixes simply do not do what they claim. Make sure if keeping corals you at least have the Ca level tested so you know what your salt mix is doing for you. Maybe your salt will be adequate, maybe not. IMO, a Ca test is good practice before getting any corals, not just before dosing. My corals are better now..I am dosing. HTH
I would tend to disagree as far as minor elements are concerned The only time the saltmix will not keep things balanced is with major use elements such as Alk, Ca (as you said) and occassionally Mg. Those are definately something that should be considered in a reef tank but the need for additions will still depend greatly on whether there are any types of scleractinians or possible heavy coralline growth. With a softie tank, water changes should handle most (if not all) of the chemistry quite well unless the saltmix being used is deficient. Twice monthly water changes may also not be frequent enough.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-14-2004, 01:59 AM   #119
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Ca is not a trace element IMO
Atari, very informative, though of little interest in the discussion of whether or not to dose a reef tank / check Ca levels.

Quote:
The saltmix WILL keep trace elements in balance..
OK, lets rephrase then...water changes alone may not be enough to maintain adequate Ca level; I have found this to be a fact. You do not dose or suppliment Ca? What salt mix do you use and what level do you achieve with it? I have been told that my brand, Crystal Sea, seems to be weak in this regard. I won't buy it again.

From http://www.northcoastmarines.com/salt_comparison.htm

"Crystal Sea®/Forty Fathoms© advertising showing an assay listing dozens of elements is a half truth. The elements listed are in the product. However, like other marine salts, they are found as impurities. Except for: 3.6 times more iron, 2 times more phosphate, 33% less bromide, some of the lowest levels of essential calcium and unbelievable variations from batch to batch vs. NSW."
Old 10-14-2004, 10:14 AM   #120
Aquarium Advice Addict

You split up my reply so it looks out of context.. my point was that the saltmix is sufficicent to keep trace elements in balance, but I don't consider Ca to be a trace element and therefore I didn't think it was fair to include it when passing judgement. Ofcourse that's changing now with the advent of these new salts with super high levels of Ca. I still prefer the old fashioned methods though.. kalk or 2-part additives both work well.

Regardless, as Steve mentioned it's not something that needs to be considered right off the bat. I was managing fine with water changes untill I got a few LPS corals. BTW I use Kent salt and it held up quite well for a surprisingly long time.

Also, I hope you realise that site you posted is actually trying to sell their own product and therefore any claims they make about competitors should be taken with a grain of salt (pun intended).

Tags
coral, corals, first coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com