Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2004, 04:47 PM   #131
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is there any other maintanence I'll need to do with the filter?

Clean the external pipes/tubes? Replace any parts? How often should the filter media be replaced (2/3 of it)?

And, how do I know when cleaning/replacing of parts needs to be done - what symptoms will I see?

Old 10-16-2004, 04:59 PM   #132
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
Is there any other maintanence I'll need to do with the filter?
Check the impeller ever time you clean the filter. It will tend to attract CaCO3 deposits due to the heat it generates. Over time it will start turning white and should be soaked in vinegar and water to dissolve the chalky coating. If it's still black/grey, you have no worries.

Quote:
Clean the external pipes/tubes? Replace any parts?
Unless flow is restricted or a part is worn causing poor performance, it's best to leave well enough alone.

Quote:
How often should the filter media be replaced (2/3 of it)?
Depending on the media it will not need changing that often. With bioballs depending on surface texture, they will not really become clogged and should be easy enough to maintain with regular cleaning. Other porous media might need changing every 4-6 months but I would not do more than 50% at a time. Once there is enough LR in the tank, the biomedia in the canister will not be needed at all and can be removed slowly.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-16-2004, 06:51 PM   #133
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2004, 06:52 PM   #134
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm going to rinse the foam tube in the wet/dry compartment tomorrow, seeing as no-one seems to know what to do with it... :/

Even if the worst comes to the worst and all the bacteria die in this compartment, do you think it'll affect anything? Or build up again quickly without affecting the tank?

And, how often, generally, should the impeller need to be cleaned?
Old 10-16-2004, 09:19 PM   #135
steve-s

Quote:
Even if the worst comes to the worst and all the bacteria die in this compartment, do you think it'll affect anything? Or build up again quickly without affecting the tank?
At worst you might see a small increase in nitrates but nothing more than that. Most of your biofiltration will be performed in the tank anyway.

Quote:
And, how often, generally, should the impeller need to be cleaned?
Depends on whether you add alk/Ca additives and how often. If just using SW to maintain chem levels, mabye once a year. If adding products to maintain the alk/Ca then every 2ish months.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-16-2004, 10:07 PM   #136
Aquarium Advice Addict

My nitrates are at 0 at the moment, so if they go up a bit it shouldn't be a problem...

I guess with a water change (or two) these will be back to 0 again, after the bacteria have had time to build back up again?

I don't have much liverock by the way...just one piece 15" x 8" x 7". Also 2" livesand.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:40 AM   #137
steve-s

Quote:
I guess with a water change (or two) these will be back to 0 again, after the bacteria have had time to build back up again?
Yes

Quote:
I don't have much liverock by the way...just one piece 15" x 8" x 7". Also 2" livesand.
Then I would definatley take your LFS's advice and get some more when you can afford it. Even if that's dry base rock. It's a much better lower maintenance biofiltration system.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-17-2004, 09:28 AM   #138
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was going to get some more LR, but was put off by hearing about potential problems with parasites and ammonia spikes etc.

If I could just get the rock and put it straight in, then great (I guess I could do this with base rock after a quick rinse with SW but I'd prefer live if anything.). But I dont want any parasite/ammonia/other problems caused by adding the rock!

My tank is 35G - how much LR would you suggest, extra to the LR I've already got?
Old 10-17-2004, 10:59 AM   #139
Aquarium Advice Addict

Steve: I've posted a question about LR in another thread (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=34222).

Can corals themselves carry parasites or introduce anything bad into the tank?

And, when corals are said to release "toxins" etc., these are only harmful to other corals aren't they, and not fish/mobile inverts (and the water in general)? Even button polyps and polytoxins etc. - if a fish or invert was to nip at the coral (any coral) could the fish get diseased and/or die?
Old 10-17-2004, 11:23 AM   #140
Aquarium Advice Addict

And, probably a stupid question: can soft corals and polyps physically damage and/or eat fish and mobile inverts? No, didn't think so :P

Tags
coral, corals, first coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com