Originally Posted by MarkW19
If I could just get the rock and put it straight in, then great (I guess I could do this with base rock after a quick rinse with SW
but I'd prefer live if anything.). But I dont want any parasite/ammonia/other problems caused by adding the rock!
My tank is 35G - how much LR
would you suggest, extra to the LR
I've already got?
Base rock would definately eliminate alot or worries but I would agree live is a more desirable choice as far as possible "goodies" are concerned. Both will perform biofiltration just the same though.
As far as what you need, for a 35 imperial gal
?) you'd want close to 30 kg in total base, live or a mixture thereof. That would allow for the comeplete removal of the biomedia in the fluval and less maintenance on your part given time.
Yes, anything with a hard surface has the potential to carry in a parasite or even the water itself for that matter. It's the risk we run. That should not prevent or deter you from doing so though as long as you are careful. With LR
, just buy enough at a time to fill a 5 gal
pail or rubbermaid tote part way. The smaller amount can then be cured to be sure it does not foul the tank and at the same time allow any potential parasite to die off providing a 5 week fallow/curing period is observed. The smaller amount is easier to manage although it is more costly to buy from the LFS
in this manner than a potential online source available to you. The upside with the smaller amount is you can choose the best pieces to fit the tank and not break the wallet in the short term.
As far as coral purchases, unless QTing them the same risk applies although small. The best way to reduce the risk is to buy sessile inverts from coral only tanks. Considering most (not all) LFS
run some type of parasite med that shouldn't be too hard. Same goes with mobile inverts but if you feel the need, they can be more easily fallowed than a coral could. Both as I said though would be much less a concern as long as you are careful where they're purchased from.
And, when corals are said to release "toxins" etc., these are only harmful to other corals aren't they, and not fish/mobile inverts (and the water in general)? Even button polyps and polytoxins etc. - if a fish or invert was to nip at the coral (any coral) could the fish get diseased and/or die?
Palytoxins could actually do alot of harm to a human if entering through broken skin and are quite potent. As far as fish and inverts, they could succumb quite easily if the coral polyp is eaten. I highly doubt that will ever be an issue though. Free floating chemical toxins and nematocysts will not really be an issue though for fish and mobile inverts. The corals would begin to degrade long before the fish and such would ever be affected, if at all.
can soft corals and polyps physically damage and/or eat fish and mobile inverts?
I don't think it will ever be a concern for you but it is possible depending on the coral. The coral will not actually be the cause but if a fish or invert is sickly/week, corals with larger mouths could easily consume an animal that could not otherwise help itself. LPS
would be your primary concern. Corals such as the elegance have a similar sticky tissue akin to anemones.