Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2004, 01:27 PM   #141
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
If I could just get the rock and put it straight in, then great (I guess I could do this with base rock after a quick rinse with SW but I'd prefer live if anything.). But I dont want any parasite/ammonia/other problems caused by adding the rock!

My tank is 35G - how much LR would you suggest, extra to the LR I've already got?
Base rock would definately eliminate alot or worries but I would agree live is a more desirable choice as far as possible "goodies" are concerned. Both will perform biofiltration just the same though.

As far as what you need, for a 35 imperial gal (4.5 lt/gal ?) you'd want close to 30 kg in total base, live or a mixture thereof. That would allow for the comeplete removal of the biomedia in the fluval and less maintenance on your part given time.

Quote:
Steve: I've posted a question about LR in another thread (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=34222).

Can corals themselves carry parasites or introduce anything bad into the tank?
Yes, anything with a hard surface has the potential to carry in a parasite or even the water itself for that matter. It's the risk we run. That should not prevent or deter you from doing so though as long as you are careful. With LR, just buy enough at a time to fill a 5 gal pail or rubbermaid tote part way. The smaller amount can then be cured to be sure it does not foul the tank and at the same time allow any potential parasite to die off providing a 5 week fallow/curing period is observed. The smaller amount is easier to manage although it is more costly to buy from the LFS in this manner than a potential online source available to you. The upside with the smaller amount is you can choose the best pieces to fit the tank and not break the wallet in the short term.

As far as coral purchases, unless QTing them the same risk applies although small. The best way to reduce the risk is to buy sessile inverts from coral only tanks. Considering most (not all) LFS run some type of parasite med that shouldn't be too hard. Same goes with mobile inverts but if you feel the need, they can be more easily fallowed than a coral could. Both as I said though would be much less a concern as long as you are careful where they're purchased from.

Quote:
And, when corals are said to release "toxins" etc., these are only harmful to other corals aren't they, and not fish/mobile inverts (and the water in general)? Even button polyps and polytoxins etc. - if a fish or invert was to nip at the coral (any coral) could the fish get diseased and/or die?
Palytoxins could actually do alot of harm to a human if entering through broken skin and are quite potent. As far as fish and inverts, they could succumb quite easily if the coral polyp is eaten. I highly doubt that will ever be an issue though. Free floating chemical toxins and nematocysts will not really be an issue though for fish and mobile inverts. The corals would begin to degrade long before the fish and such would ever be affected, if at all.

Quote:
can soft corals and polyps physically damage and/or eat fish and mobile inverts?
I don't think it will ever be a concern for you but it is possible depending on the coral. The coral will not actually be the cause but if a fish or invert is sickly/week, corals with larger mouths could easily consume an animal that could not otherwise help itself. LPS would be your primary concern. Corals such as the elegance have a similar sticky tissue akin to anemones.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-17-2004, 01:45 PM   #142
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I guess I won't have any problems with my capnella, zoanthus, sarcophytons and mushrooms then as far as eating or damaging fish goes :P Palytoxins won't be an issue for these species either will they? Do fish not eat the coral polyp? Not even for a little nibble?

How long do you think normal base rock would take to colonise with bacteria so it's "live"? How would I prepare baserock before putting it into my tank - just a quick rinse with SW?

And, can the corals I've chosen be bought on their own and then placed onto the baserock?

Old 10-17-2004, 01:57 PM   #143
steve-s

Quote:
Well, I guess I won't have any problems with my capnella, zoanthus, sarcophytons and mushrooms then as far as eating or damaging fish goes :P Palytoxins won't be an issue for these species either will they? Do fish not eat the coral polyp? Not even for a little nibble?
Palytoxins will not be a concern for corals in general unless encroching on a nearby coral. The only fish that will really be a problem that you may end up keeping eventually are angels and tangs. Angels will not typically eat zoanthuds but aren't above a nip or two. That shouldn't be a problem though. Tangs ca be prone to nipping soft corals in general but personally I have never seen them munch on a zoanthud. If a tang does nip at corals constantly it's typically a sign they are not getting enough grazing vegetable matter. Increasing the types and quantity of grazing foods will usually curb it after a short time.

Quote:
How long do you think normal base rock would take to colonise with bacteria so it's "live"? How would I prepare baserock before putting it into my tank - just a quick rinse with SW?
As far as bacteria not much time at all, a few weeks in fact. It will really depend on the DOC that's available to feed the bacteria. Bacteria only grows to meet the food sources available. A quick rinse would be just fine.

Quote:
And, can the corals I've chosen be bought on their own and then placed onto the baserock?
Yes, without a doubt.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-17-2004, 03:06 PM   #144
Aquarium Advice Addict

Brilliant - baserock it is then. Takes a lot of the potential problems away!

Only last problem now is that I was planning on getting a coral beauty :P

I'm going to be providing nori for her, but I guess she may also take a liking to my corals?
Old 10-17-2004, 03:07 PM   #145
Aquarium Advice Addict

And, does the baserock need to become live before I can put my corals on it?

How exactly are the corals I've chosen "placed" onto the rock?
Old 10-17-2004, 06:28 PM   #146
steve-s

Quote:
I'm going to be providing nori for her, but I guess she may also take a liking to my corals?
It's always a possibility when it comes to angels. It may take awhile for the beauty to take to the nori but also be sure the angel gets a good mixture of food types. Frozen preparations (that include sponges) designed for their particular needs will also cut down on coral nipping.

Quote:
And, does the baserock need to become live before I can put my corals on it?
No

Quote:
How exactly are the corals I've chosen "placed" onto the rock?
Depends on if they are already attached to something. I'd assume the ones you already have are attached to something in which case they can be attached using reef epoxy puddy and super glue gel.

Unattached soft corals can simpley be anchored until they attach themselves.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-17-2004, 06:33 PM   #147
Aquarium Advice Addict

So if I buy the poylps/shrooms/capnella/leather corals on their own, I can just place them straight on the rock (what do you mean by anchored? ? If they're attached to some rock in the LFS, I guess I'll have to buy the rock too?

If the coral beauty does nip the corals, what's the worst that could happen (for either the fish or the coral)?

Do corals use much oxygen up in the tank?

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2004, 06:36 PM   #148
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is there any particular type of baserock I want? Or is it all suitable for my tank after a quick SW rinse?

I guess the baserock will not be in a tank and be just dry?
Old 10-17-2004, 06:39 PM   #149
steve-s

Quote:
Is there any particular type of baserock I want?
As long as it's CaCO3 based your good to go. Try to find pieces that are not smooth with a few holes and small cracks/crevaces if you have a choice. Avoid lava rocks.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-17-2004, 06:44 PM   #150
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okie - if a piece of rock's lying in the corner of my LFS and I don't really know where it's come from (I guess baserock isn't in tanks?), am I still ok to add it after a good SW rinse?

What about my other questions above?

Tags
coral, corals, first coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com