Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2004, 08:27 PM   #171
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
I'll get a Calcium testing kit. I guess if the levels are too low when I've got my corals, I'll have to use Kalk or something though?
No, if the Ca is low and unbalanced against the alk, kalkwasser will be of no use. Kalk is a balanced additive so when added both alk and Ca are raised equally. If you find that the Ca needs a boost, you will need a CaCl product to augment only the Ca side of the equation.

Given the size of your tank, a few water chnages would be an easier route depending on how the saltmix tests.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-18-2004, 08:32 PM   #172
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use Instant Ocean...some say it's not that good for reefs. Will see how it goes though.

Old 10-18-2004, 08:34 PM   #173
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tomorrow I'm starting the acclimate of the new lights for my fish.

But, should I be doing whites all day (as I am now) and introduce the actinics slowly, or the other way round (ie. actinics all day)? Will the sudden change from mainly whites to mainly actinics over the next few days affect my fish?

And, once I've finished the acclimate for my current fish, I'll be doing an acclimate again when I get my corals in a few weeks! Will this not upset my current fish that will already have been through one light acclimate, to do one again?

And, finally re. the pieces of liverock that the corals and polyps (I guess the polyps will come on larger pieces of LR than the individual corals) come on, as long as my LFS says its cured it's ok to put straight in with the coral?
Old 10-19-2004, 01:44 AM   #174
steve-s

Quote:
But, should I be doing whites all day (as I am now) and introduce the actinics slowly, or the other way round (ie. actinics all day)? Will the sudden change from mainly whites to mainly actinics over the next few days affect my fish?
Actinics all day and increasing the time the whites are run would be a better option. The fish will not be affected by the switch. If anything the actinics would less stressful.

Quote:
And, once I've finished the acclimate for my current fish, I'll be doing an acclimate again when I get my corals in a few weeks! Will this not upset my current fish that will already have been through one light acclimate, to do one again?
You do not need to alter the light routine for new arrivals only the existing inhabitants. If unsure of the sensitivity of a new coral, start it off near the bottom and gradually increase the height depending on the needs of the coral and proper water flow as well. In most cases, the lighting the new coral came from will be HO fluors or better and shouldn't be that much a concern.

Quote:
And, finally re. the pieces of liverock that the corals and polyps (I guess the polyps will come on larger pieces of LR than the individual corals) come on, as long as my LFS says its cured it's ok to put straight in with the coral?
As long as there is no foul odor from the rock it should be just fine in that regard. I have several times purchased a beautiful zoanthud rock only to get them home to find they are in a state of decay from not being handled properly from time of collection. It's quite unmistakable though, you will know immediately if that's the case.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-19-2004, 04:06 AM   #175
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK, so if they say it's "cured", and when I open the bag and smell it it doesn't smell bad, I can put straight in.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:06 AM   #176
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I thought it was 8 - 10 dkH that was needed?

I'll monitor the alkalinity and pH after I've got my new additions, and add Proper pH (8.2) to my waterchange water if necessary.
If you PM me your email address I'll send you a great article on alk/cal which allows you to see how well your tank is doing & what to do if one or more are low/high....

Cheers Shelton.
30gal tank, 20kgs Fiji + 4kgs Madagascan LR, bare bottom, 2 x Maxijets 900, AquaC Remora skimmer, 10W D&D UV using a spraybar on surface for return,Maxijet 600 + spraybar behind LR, Ecco 2234 running RowaPhos/GAC, 150w visitherm.
Custom Built lid; 2 x T5 megatwin (4x39W Aquablue+); 4 moonlights.

IKS with temp & PH probes, controlling lights,heat & cooling fans.

Percula Clown; Banggai Cardinal; Firefish; Mandarin
2 Cleaner Shrimps; 3 Peppermint Shrimps; 1 Blood Shrimp
1 Large Feather Duster; 1 Hard Tube Coco Worm; Yellow Cucumber.
6 Red Legged Hermits; 1 Green Emerald Crab; 16 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits; 3 Zebra Hermits; 3 Popsock Hermits
22 Turbo/Astrae Snails; 20 IO Snails
Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 11:35 AM   #177
steve-s

Quote:
OK, so if they say it's "cured", and when I open the bag and smell it it doesn't smell bad, I can put straight in.
Yes!

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-19-2004, 03:16 PM   #178
Aquarium Advice Addict

:P

I've just told my LFS I plan to use baserock instead of LR, and he's said he won't supply the corals to me because he doesn't think my tank will be able to sustain the corals we've talked about, certainly if all added at once, with baserock instead of LR, because he has a "responsibility" to ensure the livestock he provides are given the right environment.

What are your views on this??

Either he wants me to spend loads on LR with him (he doesnt do baserock), or I've actually found a LFS that cares...

In The Concientious.. it says that adding more than one coral at once can overload the system/skimming (I dont even have any skimming!)/bacteria etc. because of the amounts of slime each coral can give off after being put into the system. It suggests leaving 2 weeks between coral introductions. Do you agree?
Old 10-19-2004, 05:35 PM   #179
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, when the corals have been acclimated over the hour, can I pick them up out of their bags with my bare hands and place them in the tank? ie. is it ok without gloves, and can the corals be out of the water for a few seconds?

And, calcification will bring alkalinity (and calcium) levels down won't it, which may affect pH - do the corals I've chosen calcify a lot or not much, compared to other corals?
Old 10-19-2004, 08:02 PM   #180
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any ideas on the LR and coral introduction Q's steve?

Since I'm going to QT the LR for a week and test for ammonia etc. (if I do get the LR), the main thing I'm worried about is hitchhikers - pistols/mantis etc.

I'm planning on doing a carbonated SW dip before it's put in my tank after the QT, but I guess it's not 100% certain it'll get them all out, and also could damage the rock as far as bacteria goes etc.? What are your views matey?

Tags
coral, corals, first coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com