Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2004, 05:47 PM   #191
Aquarium Advice Addict

Would feeding phytoplankton either every day or every other day at to the bioload?

Old 10-20-2004, 06:09 PM   #192
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Quickie: does any LFS easily make much more profit on Fiji LR (UK store of course) rather than corals?
Depends on how much they charge for the LR, STM do 20kgs of LR for £189 delivered thats £9.45 per kg, so if your LFS is more than £10 per kg then yes, but then again if he's buying corals cheap he maybe marking up by 100-200%? so then no

Cheers Shelton.

30gal tank, 20kgs Fiji + 4kgs Madagascan LR, bare bottom, 2 x Maxijets 900, AquaC Remora skimmer, 10W D&D UV using a spraybar on surface for return,Maxijet 600 + spraybar behind LR, Ecco 2234 running RowaPhos/GAC, 150w visitherm.
Custom Built lid; 2 x T5 megatwin (4x39W Aquablue+); 4 moonlights.

IKS with temp & PH probes, controlling lights,heat & cooling fans.

Percula Clown; Banggai Cardinal; Firefish; Mandarin
2 Cleaner Shrimps; 3 Peppermint Shrimps; 1 Blood Shrimp
1 Large Feather Duster; 1 Hard Tube Coco Worm; Yellow Cucumber.
6 Red Legged Hermits; 1 Green Emerald Crab; 16 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits; 3 Zebra Hermits; 3 Popsock Hermits
22 Turbo/Astrae Snails; 20 IO Snails
Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 06:45 PM   #193
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
You know I've never bought any LR though, right?
No I did not. From an earlier post, I was under the impression you did.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...=263946#263946
Quote:
I don't have much liverock by the way...just one piece 15" x 8" x 7". Also 2" livesand.

Quote:
And the microfauna/bugs/worms won't ever be on my new baserock as they're not on my rock now, so this is the only part that could make a difference I guess.
If the rock and sand you have now are completely void of critters, that still does not mean you must get LR to be successful at all. I would however suggest buying a small select amount to seed the base rock. In either event it will not hinder your success in any way.

FWIW, I highly doubt your tank has no critters in it. If you've added anything with rock attached to it (ie corals) then there is no possible way nothing came in with it.

Quote:
The one largeish piece I have at the moment was bought as dry baserock. Of course, after 7 months (and coupled with my 2.5" livesand) it will be "live" by now, although not with the microfauna/bugs/worms of course.

The microfauna/bugs/worms will only help the corals a tiny percentage though, and by no means at all will keeping LR sustain the corals whereas baserock will not?
The bugs will not make or break your success. They do help reduce your maintenance but as I said earlier, I highly doubt you haven't any.

Quote:
Quickie: does any LFS easily make much more profit on Fiji LR (UK store of course) rather than corals?
What Shelton said rings true but what I was refering to was total profit dollars. Buying the LR would put more money in his pocket than the corals we've discussed.

Quote:
Would feeding phytoplankton either every day or every other day at to the bioload?
It would greatly overtax the biofilter depending on how much was added. Not to mention the nasty algae growth that would ensue.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-20-2004, 07:15 PM   #194
Aquarium Advice Addict

It wasn't bought as liverock, it was bought as dry baserock...what I meant was that it will be live by now when I called it "liverock"...

Although of course, no critters etc. will have come in on it

Perhaps they did from my livesand, which was the bagged variety with water in it - and I guess I could get a small amount from the LR my corals come attached to as well.

I've sent you a PM - if you wouldn't mind taking a quick look at it matey?
Old 10-20-2004, 07:43 PM   #195
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you think there may have been some critters in my bagged livesand?

And, I guess the LR the corals/polyps/shrooms come on won't have any undesirable hitchhikers on, and you said there'll be no probs with ammonia for this?
Old 10-20-2004, 10:18 PM   #196
steve-s

Quote:
Do you think there may have been some critters in my bagged livesand?
There is a very small chance almost not worth mentioning but I highly doubt it.

Quote:
And, I guess the LR the corals/polyps/shrooms come on won't have any undesirable hitchhikers on, and you said there'll be no probs with ammonia for this?
Most likely no ammonia but when I was refering to no hitchikers, that was for well cured LR or wet base rock. With coral rock there is always a possibility of something but not in the problem sort of way. You will definately get worms and pods, mabye a snail or even opossums.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-20-2004, 10:26 PM   #197
Aquarium Advice Addict

Guess ATM I have no critters at all then :P

Re: the coral rock hitchhikers: cool - but no mantis or pistols or anything "bad"?

I guess the polyps and shrooms will come on quite a bit of LR - would it be an idea to put this in QT and test for ammonia with it being a substantial portion?

And re. baserock: I'll get 10kg as you suggested. My LFS has a bunch of nice-looking dry rock in a basket. Will test it with vinegar and if it fizzes I'll get it...

I guess a quick rinse with SW will get the vinegar off, but I dont really know where the rock has been at all, it's just all piled up in a basket in the decor section. People could have been handling it or anything...sure it's ok to put straight in after a good SW rinse?
Old 10-20-2004, 10:44 PM   #198
steve-s

Quote:
Guess ATM I have no critters at all then :P
I thought you already had a few softies in the tank? If so, did they not have solid bases to them or just the coral flesh?

Quote:
but no mantis or pistols or anything "bad"?
Shouldn't, no.

Quote:
I guess the polyps and shrooms will come on quite a bit of LR - would it be an idea to put this in QT and test for ammonia with it being a substantial portion?
As rule it's not needed but it should be carefully inspected for flatworms and the like.

Quote:
And re. baserock: I'll get 10kg as you suggested. My LFS has a bunch of nice-looking dry rock in a basket. Will test it with vinegar and if it fizzes I'll get it...

Quote:
I guess a quick rinse with SW will get the vinegar off, but I dont really know where the rock has been at all, it's just all piled up in a basket in the decor section. People could have been handling it or anything...sure it's ok to put straight in after a good SW rinse?
If you feel there might be a concern of handling contamination, you can let it sit in a pail of SW with carbon and a powerhead for a few days. To be honest I don't think you'll have any issues with a quick rinse and into the tank.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-21-2004, 10:16 AM   #199
Aquarium Advice Addict

No softies (or any corals at all) ATM no.

I'll smell the new baserock thoroughly, and if it's ok I'll give it a couple of very good rinses in SW. Does it have to be SW it's rinsed in, or can I rinse it in FW (out of the tap) and allow it to dry naturally (left out for a day or two)?

What about the 1kg piece of LR you suggested - should I be worried about ammonia on this, even with it being so small?

Quick smell and inspection and straight in do you think?
Old 10-21-2004, 10:28 AM   #200
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is there any type of LR thats better - ie. Fiji, Florida, etc. ?

Tags
coral, corals, first coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com