Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2004, 02:58 PM   #201
Aquarium Advice Addict

My new baserock, 17KG:-

The guy in the LFS said it was Calcium based, and was "Ocean Rock".

Seems to smell ok. Few patches of red/grey etc. on it but I guess that's how it came?

It's hard to tell between "dirty" rock and the actual markings!

It was just sitting in a metal basket in one of the aisles. They put it in a polystyrene box for me to bring it home in.

Look ok?

Old 10-21-2004, 04:39 PM   #202
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
No softies (or any corals at all) ATM no.
Then what's this about
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...=264164#264164

Quote:
I'll smell the new baserock thoroughly, and if it's ok I'll give it a couple of very good rinses in SW. Does it have to be SW it's rinsed in, or can I rinse it in FW (out of the tap) and allow it to dry naturally (left out for a day or two)?
Either is fine as long as the rock is allowed to air dry a few days and the tap water does not contain trace amounts of copper. A safer route would be to fill a few pails with tap and use a dechlorinator that specifically binds metals and then rinse them in that.

Quote:
What about the 1kg piece of LR you suggested - should I be worried about ammonia on this, even with it being so small?
If it stinks you should still cure it seperately due to the size of your tank. If it doesn't smell just drop it in.

Quote:
Quick smell and inspection and straight in do you think?
Sounds Fine.

Quote:
Is there any type of LR thats better - ie. Fiji, Florida, etc. ?
I wouldn't say that one is head and shoulders above the others as each adds something different to the biodiversity and filtration aspects of the tank. Fiji is good for coralline but personally I find it quite dense and not particularly good for dentrification. The same can be said of any rock though as many will have similarities. One person could get a batch that is quite porous while someone else may get something solid. You never know.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-21-2004, 04:41 PM   #203
steve-s

Quote:
My new baserock, 17KG:-Look ok?

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-21-2004, 04:50 PM   #204
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I'm shortly going to be adding some more LR and some soft corals/polyps/'shrooms.

As you can see, there aren't any corals in my tank yet :P

I guess if I rinse the baserock with SW that's just come out of my tank, I can put the rock straight in without needing it to dry?
Old 10-21-2004, 04:56 PM   #205
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just measured my Ca, and it's 360mg/l. And my dKH is 8.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:05 PM   #206
steve-s

Quote:
Quote:
I'm shortly going to be adding some more LR and some soft corals/polyps/'shrooms.

As you can see, there aren't any corals in my tank yet :P
The picture I saw although without any detail indicates with a diagram where corals are, or is that for future placement?

Quote:
I guess if I rinse the baserock with SW that's just come out of my tank, I can put the rock straight in without needing it to dry?
Yes

Quote:
Just measured my Ca, and it's 360mg/l. And my dKH is 8.
The alk is fine but the Ca should be raised up to between 410-420 ppm.

See >>Here<<

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-21-2004, 05:07 PM   #207
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's for future placement

Can I not get away with the Ca, considering the corals I've chosen (as you said) won't bring it down any further.

Want to get away from dosing anything if at all possible!
Old 10-21-2004, 05:09 PM   #208
Aquarium Advice Addict

Will I have to add Ca every day? Or just perhaps after each waterchange every 2 weeks?
Old 10-21-2004, 05:15 PM   #209
steve-s

It may eventually affect the alk levels if you do not keep up with water changes and could affect the health of snails and/or crustaceans. 360 ppm Ca is below NSW levels which are 380-420 ppm. If you keep up with the weekly water changes you might be okay but be sure it goes no lower. One of the reasons I dislike IO salts.

Quote:
Will I have to add Ca every day? Or just perhaps after each waterchange every 2 weeks?
It would be safer to boost the Ca in smaller amounts daily rather than one large dose. Twice monthly water changes won't amount to much when your needing to correct a chem problem. You also need to consider the chem of newly prepared SW. If that's not balanced, the water chnages will not affect anything but the DOC/NO3/trace element levels. Major chem proponenst will remain unaffected.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-21-2004, 05:16 PM   #210
steve-s

If you need help with the chem I would suggest starting a new thread. This ones gotten quite long and rather difficult to follow.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
coral, corals, first coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com