Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2004, 05:22 PM   #211
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol, good idea :P

Cheers for all your help Steve, and everyone

I'll keep measuring the Ca and if it gets any lower AT ALL, I'll take action. Probably by changing to the Tropic Marin pro reef salt (which I may do anyway, I guess it can't have any bad effects whatsoever).

As far as "keep up with water changes" goes, I change 20% every 2 weeks. My dKH started off at 10 7 months ago when I first checked my tank, and now is at 8dkH. Does this likely mean that it will be at 6dKH by another 7 months, or simply that my tank has found a stable balance that it will most likely keep?

Old 10-24-2004, 10:52 AM   #212
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've been looking at Heteroxenia (pom-pom pulsing Xenia), captive-bred.

How will this do in my tank do you think? Does it still not expell nematocysts when stressed and doesn't bring the alk/ca down, like the others we've talked about dont?

What about feeding requirements - same as the others?

Old 10-24-2004, 04:15 PM   #213
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
How will this do in my tank do you think? Does it still not expell nematocysts when stressed and doesn't bring the alk/ca down, like the others we've talked about dont?
Any Xenia or like soft coral has littel or no affect on aalkalinity. The chemicals emitted by Pom-Poms are no different thatn any other Xenia coral and typically not a concern.

Xeniids do have chemical defenses but are typically quite week and shouldn't be any concern to water quality or other corals. It is quite rare it will damage anything near it (although possible), usually it's the one that loses the battle.

Quote:
What about feeding requirements - same as the others?
They don't need it. Xeniids are pretty much self sufficient providing they have enough light.
To Pulse or Not to Pulse? Identification and Behavior of Xeniid corals in the Aquarium Hobby by Anthony Calfo

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-24-2004, 05:21 PM   #214
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cheers Steve, think I'll add one to my list!

How's this for my aquascaping (basic idea, photoshopped), bearing in mind the position of the powerheads (they're actually behind where the rock would be)?

I intend to put my capnella on the large rock at the right, one sarcophyton at the right and one at the left, and polyps/shrooms that will come on quite a bit of LR, in the middle on top of the rock in the picture. Then the Xenia at the left too.

Is it ok?
Old 10-24-2004, 08:25 PM   #215
steve-s

All looks fine except the shrooms.

Quote:
shrooms that will come on quite a bit of LR, in the middle on top of the rock in the picture.
I would place the shrooms on/near the bottom in a lower flow area and then move up later if needs be. They typically do not do that great closer to the light source. You can adjust the aquascaping easily enough to accomodate them.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-24-2004, 08:31 PM   #216
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool - all is ok with the rock placement though, considering the height of the ph's, and the fact they're actually behind the rockwork?
Old 10-24-2004, 08:34 PM   #217
steve-s

Quote:
Cool - all is ok with the rock placement though, considering the height of the ph's, and the fact they're actually behind the rockwork?
As long as the water flows over the top of rock to the front of the glass and not directly into the back of the rock your fine. Just adjust the height of the powerheads accordingly you seem to have plenty of room.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-24-2004, 08:38 PM   #218
Aquarium Advice Addict

I guess I should be pointing the 2 phs diagonally to the front then, rather than facing each other across the back like they are now?
Old 10-24-2004, 10:00 PM   #219
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm just concerned that there's not much swimming room left - the rock is now basically filling up the whole tank!

How far apart should I be putting all my corals btw? There's not that much room to play with...
Old 10-25-2004, 11:04 AM   #220
steve-s

Quote:
I guess I should be pointing the 2 phs diagonally to the front then, rather than facing each other across the back like they are now?
Either way, it doesn't really matter as long as the flow is somewhat caotic.

Quote:
I'm just concerned that there's not much swimming room left - the rock is now basically filling up the whole tank!
You still have plenty of space. Reef fish are not typically open water swimmers especially the ones suited for smaller tanks.

Quote:
How far apart should I be putting all my corals btw? There's not that much room to play with...
Start different species off about 3-4" apart whether that be vertically or horizontally. Like species can be closer to each other though.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
coral, corals, first coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com