Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-09-2004, 09:06 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, re carbon: I have an eheim external canister filter, which has 2 media ball baskets inside. In the top basket, I've taken a few balls out and put a small bag in with some rowaphos in (I've been using the rowaphos for quite a while now).

With the carbon, is it ok to add it in a bag to the 2nd (lower) basket, taking some balls out to make room. Or, could this cause problems with my bacteria/filtration (ie. with there being less balls, and 2 bags stuck in there where the balls are meant to be)?

Do I want a particular make of carbon or anything? Or just any? It can't do anything negative to the tank or water chemistry can it? How often does it need to be replaced again?

Old 10-09-2004, 10:47 PM   #82
Aquarium Advice Freak

In most of my FW setups, I tend to do course sponge, poly fiber, carbon, ceramic things. I regulary clean out out the poly and don't use it when cycling, so it doesn't become too active. The little ceramic things become rather active, but they clog up rather quickly without the poly fiber before it. And the poly fiber as the biomedia would turn too messy too fast. Tradeoffs

But thats just FW

Most aquarium carbon is the same. As long as its granular activated carbon, you should be fine.

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 02:22 AM   #83
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
What problems are the butterfly and tang likely to cause in my tank?
A 40 gal tank cannot meet the needs of these two fish even as juveniles. The tang especially will grow to 2-3" in it's first year or so. They will become cramped and most likely suffer from aggression issues and hard to keep up with water quality problems. Personally I think it would be unwise and worth waiting on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
Also, re carbon: I have an eheim external canister filter, which has 2 media ball baskets inside. In the top basket, I've taken a few balls out and put a small bag in with some rowaphos in (I've been using the rowaphos for quite a while now).

With the carbon, is it ok to add it in a bag to the 2nd (lower) basket, taking some balls out to make room. Or, could this cause problems with my bacteria/filtration (ie. with there being less balls, and 2 bags stuck in there where the balls are meant to be)?
Once the proper amount of LR is in the tank (as I said depending on what you currently have) the biomedia in the Eheim is not needed and can be removed for other types such as the carbon. External canister filters are not really beneficial for SW as a means of biofiltration and shouldn't be relied on too much in the long term. Keep in mind that even though they are not foam filter items, they still need rinsing regularly in SW to remove detritus build up.

Quote:
Do I want a particular make of carbon or anything? Or just any? It can't do anything negative to the tank or water chemistry can it? How often does it need to be replaced again?
Try to get the higher grades of carbon. IMO, skimping for cost will cause you algae problems. Cheaper grades as well as coconut makes, are quite high in PO4 and will lead to nuisance algaes. Personally I use Chemi-pure by Boyd but there are many other acceptable types. Just avoid Sea gel by Seachem as it contains an aluminum based PO4 granuals as well.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-10-2004, 09:19 AM   #84
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cheers guys.

Steve: so putting those 2 fish in my tank could cause water quality problems? What sort of problems?

And, how often should I be rinsing the filter media balls then?

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2004, 09:54 AM   #85
Aquarium Advice Addict

Steve: I'm going to add a coral beauty next.

But, I really want either a 2" copperband butterfly, yellow long-nosed butterfly, or regal tang as my fourth and final fish.

Will none of these be ok?
Old 10-10-2004, 05:13 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice Addict

Will my 2 fish be ok with the huge change in my aquascape??

Also, I know dKH is important with reefs (and marine tanks in general)...but I've lost my instructions for my test kit! I just have the vial and bottle left...and there's no make on the bottle :P
Old 10-10-2004, 09:33 PM   #87
Aquarium Advice Addict

Should've put all those questions in the same reply really :P

I have 9 hermit crabs (assortment of blue and red legged) and a fire shrimp. Will my corals be safe with them?

And...

I've upgraded my lighting - 2 36" actinic T5, 2 36" white T5 and moonlight LEDs for late at night (12am - 3am) and morning (9am - 12pm).

I'm just wondering about the order of the 4 T5 tubes in my lid - from front to back: white at front, then actinic, then white, then actinic. Is that ok?
Old 10-11-2004, 03:06 PM   #88
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm keeping 2 x pachyclavularia sp., 2 x zoanthus sp., 2 x discosoma sp., 1 x sarcophyton sp., and 1 x capnella sp.

Is it really neccessary to add the actinic lighting to my 2 39w white T5s to keep these corals?
Old 10-11-2004, 04:04 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are these all just different shapes of the same coral (Toadstool leather coral), so therefore they all have exactly the same requirements? :-

[/img]
Old 10-11-2004, 04:15 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry for all the Q's! Steve (or anyone!) when you get time could you also have a look at my.....*6* (!) questions above? :P

Is carbon really necessary do you think? What could happen to my corals if I don't use it (I'm going to be feeding them DT's Live Phytoplankton)?

Tags
coral, corals, first coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com