First Fatality - Kole Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbecher

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,

I've had my first fatality unfortunately; My Kole Tang.

I've been working opposite shifts on base since Tuesday (6pm-6am) so I haven't been able to observe my fish as well, and I can't give you a time of death; It happened sometimes between yesterday afternoon and today. He was doing amazing ever since I put him in my tank, but has since, in the last few days, seemed to have spooked my Foxface Rabbit fish. They used to play together all the time but I notice the foxface being a little more "defensive" around him with his spines recently... but still, they seemed to get along fine, at times they would merely bump into each other without a notice, and sometimes the foxface would pop it's spines up and list to the side as the tang approached.

I'm not really blaming the foxface, but I guess it's really my only option as opposed to natural causes. I just don't know what to face. I'll probably aquaire a new Kole Tang and see how it goes; If it turns into another fatality the Foxface may have to find a new home :(

-Stock List

-FoxFace Rabbitfish
-Small Yellow Watchman Goby
-Small Orange Spot Goby
-Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp

-Parameters

-Ammonia: 0
-Nitrite: 0
-Nitrate: 5
-Salinity: 1.023

Any words of wisdom or thoughts are appreciated, as I know I'm no coroner but I'd like to find out how this happened...

I have heard of the foxface having poisonous spines but have never had one. It`s hard to say what the cause was. Could have been sisk or had ich or just about anything. Sorry I cant be more definitive.

It's ok. They do have venemous spines, and I've read online of other fatalities, but not a lot. I checked him everyday and he seemed very healthy. I honeslty think it might have been an issue of eating together. The foxface only because"defensive" during eating times (They ate off the same clip).

I have a Foxface and a Yellow Tang both eat from the same clip and they get along great. Matter of fact, I had a yellow tang that recently died do to moving my fish, the Foxface seemed to get really depressed from it, he always had his guard up and night time colors, until I got another Tang and now he's happy again. They swim together and eat together and they are like 2 peas in a pod as Forest would say! I'm not really sure what would cause your Kole tang to die, but I don't think it would be from the Foxface. They are rather gentle around other fish, unless he felt threatened by the Kole tang it's unlikely he was the cause of death.

I have a Foxface and a Yellow Tang both eat from the same clip and they get along great. Matter of fact, I had a yellow tang that recently died do to moving my fish, the Foxface seemed to get really depressed from it, he always had his guard up and night time colors, until I got another Tang and now he's happy again. They swim together and eat together and they are like 2 peas in a pod as Forest would say! I'm not really sure what would cause your Kole tang to die, but I don't think it would be from the Foxface. They are rather gentle around other fish, unless he felt threatened by the Kole tang it's unlikely he was the cause of death.

I certainly agree with this, since the Foxface intermediately perked up with the introduction of the kole tang, and they seemed inseparable. The tang didnt eat for a few days, and its only when he started eating did the foxface seem to become a little more defense, and it was ONLY during feeding times... I certainly dont think the foxface intentionally killed him, if he even did; It's just the most likely culprit in my book.

Since the tang has been gone the foxface is very... mellow. I'm going to get him a new kole tang shortly and see how this goes.

Back
Top Bottom