First ich now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hart62

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been treating three of my fish for ich for a week now. They are eating great and looking great except for my sail fin tang. He is eating great and no longer looks like he has any ich on him but his fins are doing something funny. In posting the best pictures I can get of him with my phone. Someone please advise. I'm treating my 20g QT tank with copper and I change two gallons a day

Attachments

• image-2608659217.jpg
    image-2608659217.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 75
  • image-3837957629.jpg
    image-3837957629.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 87
  • image-1396504746.jpg
    image-1396504746.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 101
  • image-1873122643.jpg
    image-1873122643.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 84
  • image-3228957120.jpg
    image-3228957120.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 96
Is the 2 gallons a day keeping your parameters in check? Also...how are those fish getting along? I see a Saillfin Tang, Asfur Angel and a Hippo Tang? thats a big bioload and a lot of fish that want to be in a tank 140-200gallons+ larger. I would almost think they could be nipping at each other. Do you have any hiding places (pvc) in there?

Is the 2 gallons a day keeping your parameters in check? Also...how are those fish getting along? I see a Saillfin Tang, Asfur Angel and a Hippo Tang? thats a big bioload and a lot of fish that want to be in a tank 140-200gallons+ larger. I would almost think they could be nipping at each other. Do you have any hiding places (pvc) in there?

I am checking my parameters daily because it is a new QT tank and has not cycled yet. I can't quote you numbers off the top of my head other than the salinity is 1.018 and the ph is 8. My nitrites, nitrates and amonia are moving around at the moment and the water changes are to keep them in check. The Asfur Angel is the largest one in there and he is about 4-5 inches nose to tail. The Hippo Tang is about half dollar size at best and the Sailfin Tang is aprox 2". I see very little chasing going on between the three and they do use the PVC fittings I have in there. I thought that it might be nipping as well by the Angel even though I never actually see it happening. I just wanted to be sure it wasn't another medical issue occuring. Also the QT is a 20 long vs tall, not that the long vs tall affects the total volume. :facepalm:

I would think the Hippo would be the one nipping. Asfurs are usually pretty mellow. In cramped quarters, anything goes though.

I'm honestly not sure about the fins if its not being caused by nipping.

I would think the Hippo would be the one nipping. Asfurs are usually pretty mellow. In cramped quarters, anything goes though.

I'm honestly not sure about the fins if its not being caused by nipping.

Really???? She is the smallest one in there although she is fiesty and erratic at times. The other two are really pretty laid back but I was afraid it was the Angel because he is the biggest of them all and the last one acquired. :lol:

I guess I will try to keep a closer eye on them to see if I can tell. How much longer do you think I need to keep them in there? I have a 125g cycling now and I really didn't want to put them back into the 45g if I didn't have to.

I believe copper treatment is usually 2-4 weeks. I think it is good to observe for a while after the last spot is gone, just to ensure it does not come back. Usually the fallow DT is more than twice as long as treatment, so it gives you that extra bit of time. I'd observe about a month after the last spot just to be sure. It would stink to have a new tank become infected due to not waiting. In your case, my only concern would be the stress of the small QT on those fish versus the odds that treatment does not work and the Ich comes back.

My only choices are to leave them in the 20g QT, move them back to the 45g DT and risk the Ich is still lurking or move them to the 125g DT before it cycles. Which is the lessor of three evils?

I would think that by the time the copper is done, you would almost have the DT cycled. I would not put them back in the infected tank. If they are getting along okay, I would think keep the QT going and observe while the larger tank finishes cycling.

Back
Top Bottom