Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2004, 12:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

fish are dying

i have a 130g tank with a yellow tang, two yellow tail blue damsels, a clown, and a three stripe damsel. These are all fish i'v had for a long time, and they used to be housed in my 33g tank, and i'v up graded. In the last week i added 2 sleeper gobies, and a royal gramma, but yesterday, they were (the three new fish) all dead. My conditions are all great, and i have various snails and crabs, an anenemie and some corals, and they are all thriving. What could have coused the deaths? My only idea is that i was floating them in the tank, directly under the mh lighting, and they might have gotten too hot, and then swaw down where the water was cooler, and this could have been two much of a shock to them, but i'm really just guessing at this poing. What do you guys think? Are gobies and grammas a dellicate fish?

Old 12-19-2004, 12:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
What was your acclimation proceedure? Did you drip acclimate?

Old 12-19-2004, 01:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Floating the bag under the lights could have been the culprit. I assume you didn't QT or at least do a FW dip, that is always taking a big risk.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 02:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

what is a fresh water dip? I'v never heard of that. I floated the bag, and then slowly added water from my tank to the water in the bag, until double the volume, then scooped out the fish and added him. I didn't qt.......
Old 12-20-2004, 11:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

can anyone explain freshwater dips?
Old 12-20-2004, 10:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Freshwater dips are no substitute for qt, and really should only be used in cases where experts here recommend it. They are stressful to the fish and actually cure very few diseases; IE common things like ich and velvet are not cured with fw dips. Hope this helps...
Old 12-21-2004, 11:29 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks....sort of like a salt water dip for freshwater fihs
Old 12-28-2004, 07:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
The heat froms the lights could have warmed the water in the bag to a higher temperate then shocked the fish when they were introduced into your tank. I don't have goby's so I do not know if they are sensitive or not. My first thought was you didnt acclimate them then I read on.

Tags
dyi, dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com