fish are dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supafreak

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a 130g tank with a yellow tang, two yellow tail blue damsels, a clown, and a three stripe damsel. These are all fish i'v had for a long time, and they used to be housed in my 33g tank, and i'v up graded. In the last week i added 2 sleeper gobies, and a royal gramma, but yesterday, they were (the three new fish) all dead. My conditions are all great, and i have various snails and crabs, an anenemie and some corals, and they are all thriving. What could have coused the deaths? My only idea is that i was floating them in the tank, directly under the mh lighting, and they might have gotten too hot, and then swaw down where the water was cooler, and this could have been two much of a shock to them, but i'm really just guessing at this poing. What do you guys think? Are gobies and grammas a dellicate fish?

Floating the bag under the lights could have been the culprit. I assume you didn't QT or at least do a FW dip, that is always taking a big risk.

what is a fresh water dip? I'v never heard of that. I floated the bag, and then slowly added water from my tank to the water in the bag, until double the volume, then scooped out the fish and added him. I didn't qt....... :cry:

Freshwater dips are no substitute for qt, and really should only be used in cases where experts here recommend it. They are stressful to the fish and actually cure very few diseases; IE common things like ich and velvet are not cured with fw dips. Hope this helps... :roll:

The heat froms the lights could have warmed the water in the bag to a higher temperate then shocked the fish when they were introduced into your tank. I don't have goby's so I do not know if they are sensitive or not. My first thought was you didnt acclimate them then I read on.

Back
Top Bottom