Fish arent eating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

possolutions

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

I finally got my first fish. I bought 6 damsels. 3 black and white striped and 3 blue. the guy down at my LFS said to buy frozen assorted food. It includes brine shrimp, blood worms, black worms, and plankton. So far, I have given them the blood worms and brine shrimp. It doesnt look like they enjoy it. They eat it and then spit it back up.

Did I buy the wrong food?:(
Is it something else?

TIA

They should eat that. How long have they been in your tank? Is this the first day? I don't even feed new fish on the first day, they are usually too stressed to eat. If they have been in there for awhile, then that is a different story. If that is the case then what is your tank size and all water parameter readings? If the fish are really small you could also try frozen cyclops aka cyclopeez

I wouldn't eat that either if I was a sw fish ;) Try mysis, cyclop-eeze, krill, squid tentacles, clams, and silversides or other non fatty fish. Variety is key so mix and match in a blender with nori (algae) and a vitamin boost (Selco) or just purchase through retail. Example, Ocean Nutrition and San Francisco Bay Brand.

Selcon and Zoe are the two major vitamin supplements for aqauria. There are several others too, but I have no experience with them.

I used Selcon and Zoe along with garlic guard (soak for no longer than 30 minutes).
I ave to ask, why the damsels and how big is your tank?

Ive never had problem with getting those little critters to eat, they always seem that they will eat what ever i put in there face. But i know for a fact that they are more of a carnivor, than herbivor. At least in my 8 years experience. They love Frozen or flaked Formula 1. And they love frozen or flaked Prime Reef. Variety is the most important thing when it comes to making sure your fish succeed. Just think if you were stuck eating a hamburger everyday??? blah. i love to mix dried with frozen and all sorts of varieties. Good Luck

Thank you for all of your feed back.

My tank is 40 gallons. I choose the damsels because I heard they are hardy fish and they are cheap. Since this is my first SW tank, I stuck with that.

I bought 6 Damsels (3 white and black stripe and 3 blue) 1 week later and only the 3 white and black remain.

What is a good brand for flaked formula?

Your right about the variety: "...stuck eating a hamburger everyday??? blah..." that would suck.

I will post my water parameters tomorrow after I test the water.

You were doing SO GOOD, then you broke some rules and some fish died. You asked about what fish you should start with and received some excellant advice. You bought the damsels anyway, which is fine if that is what you want. It's your tank to enjoy. BUT, you added too many fish at one time. The general rule is to add 1 or 2 fish at a time, give the tank about 3 - 4 weeks for the bacterial population ot increase to match the increased bioload, then add more fish. Again only 1 or 2 at a time.
The best advice I ever received here is "nothing good ever happens fast in a salt water aquarium".

I will get better at this Im sure. :D

Water Parameters:

Temp: 81F
Salt: 1.022
Ammo: 4.0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: .25
pH: 8.1

Does this explain why the Damsels wont eat the frozen brine shrimp, or the blood worms?

Tank is over 40 days now. Started the tank with 35 pounds of dead rock. Dead rock = live rock that was bone dry for over a year then was cleaned and used again for this aquarium. I am wondering if the ammo is so high because I dont have any bacteria on my dead rock, or its hard for them to live with no nutrients.

If another Damsel dies, should I leave it on the tank to rot and for the hermit crabs to eat, or should I take it out? (I dont really care about the damsels inside, I just want my tank to become stable and fish habitable.)

TIA

Wow, looks like you are starting a cycle. The base (dry) rock did not have anything on it to start a cycle.
I kind of figured you bought the damsles to start the cycle (bad advice from your LFS, they made their money and you are losing fish....plus you will have to go back and give them more money to replace the fish you lost....).
I would take the rest back and do the fishless cycle.

You can definitely add more LR, and this should help. Keep up with the suggested PWCs, add as much cured LR as you can....It's going to be tough to add other fish or get those damsels out when you want too.

Back
Top Bottom