Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
Fish breathing fast

Any idea what causes fish to have rapid gill movements? The reason I ask is because I've done a ton of research and read lots of books /online info since I've started my tank and nothing comes to mind that fits whats going on.

parameters:
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate between 10-20ppm
ph between 8.2 and 8.4
temp 78 degrees
S.G - between 1.022 and 1.023
emperor 400 filter, 2 powerheads equalling about 400gph ( both pointed up at the surface) , coralife super skimmer 65

I only have four small-ish fish in the tank ( equalling about 10 inches of fish I believe) , and two of the four seem to be having rapid gill movements. They arn't gasping at the top of the tank, and still seem to be eating.I also have about 60# of live rock in the tank as well. Im wondering if maybe they're stressed and need more hiding spots? I noticed the one isnt swimming as fast as it use to around the tank, but is otherwise ok. No noticable spots, parasites etc. I was just a bit concerned. Any idea?

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Hmmm, can you take a sample of your water to get another test done? What fish do you have in there and which two are having issues?
Usually heavy breathing could be caused by ammonia, poor pH or the lack of O2 (but your readings don't indicate those issues). Possible internal infection or parasite?
Have you had any swings in temp?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Temp seems pretty steady at 78 degrees. I've tested the water twice and got the same parameters. I'm beginning to think it may be some sort of parasite ( though I can't seem to see any). I, yes, do have a small yellow tang i've had for about a month and a half now ( about 3") I do plan to get a larger tank down the road when i'm ready to build a full reef and do corals.

PH was pretty high a few weeks ago around 8.8 because of source water, but I tested it today, seemed to be between 8.2-8.4 -gradually ( as best as I can tell) lowered by topping off with store bought gallons of ro/di water - about half gallon a day.

The coral beauty seems to be breathing a bit heavier than the clowns ( who as far as I can tell are breathing normally), but the tang seems to be breathing the fastest. ( so stock: one coral beauty, two clowns and a small yellow tang) I did put him in Qt several weeks ago to try to treat for what I thought was intestinal parasites ( he still has a bit of stringy poop that I noticed today, he was ficking off with his anal fins) I had treated with metronidazole, prazipro and had tried some panacur in suspension ( mixed well. Given with help from innovator as well), since he was too smart for his own good and didnt want to eat panacur in the food.. I used the meds according to direction. I might just have to get some garlic guard and add to the frozen food with panacur.

- Melinda
Old 10-18-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I don't have my handbook of fish diseases by Dieter Untergasser (great book to have and easy to read), at home, so hopefully some one that has one handy can be of further assistance. I am usually online at work (shhhh!) so that's where a lot of my reference materials are.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

are the gills swollen?

do the fins look eroded?

are they eyes popping out ?

are they listing to one side?

are any of them flashing? meaning are they accelerating quickly and scraping the sides of their bodies on stuff?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIftOkWbLWo
rob28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nope - not popeye ( eyes are fine), not going to one side, swimming fine, gills as far as I can tell arn't inflammed and no erroded fins. He's not losing color. Breathing fast out of both gills, with mouth open. However, he is not gasping for air at the surface. See why i'm stumped?

Ive actually read that book It is pretty good, Im about to go to the library and get it again.. (i've read all the saltwater fish books there, including the one about ocean fish hah)

I did notice the tang trying to get the stringy poo ( white, stringy) off earlier, but thats about it ( rubbed his bottom end on a rock once). I'm going to go out tomorrow and get some garlic guard or garlic extreame and add it to the food with dewormer to see if it'll help. He wont eat it with the meds otherwise. Gills dont seem inflammed, I dont see any flukes/ spots, though I know some can be microscopic. He just swims around with his mouth open and gills flapping. It worries me. I didn't think intestinal parasites could cause breathing issues, but I'm at a loss as to what could be causing it with good water and no external sign of parasites besides the stringy poop.

this guy was initially QT'd for 3 weeks ( some rapid breathing at first, was ok after adjusting) then 1 week QT with general dewormers after a few weeks in the main.

QT and try and treat for possible gill flukes ( if so how?) or try the garlic+dewormer+food? blah! lol..

- Melinda
Old 10-19-2008, 09:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Got up early this morning, ( lights off in tank) noticed the tang still breathing somewhat rapidly , but not nearly as fast as last night with the lights on. I might try and get a bit more live rock and make more hiding places for him as well and see if it helps, as well as try the garlic combo ( with dewormer).

Heck might give me a reason to go buy a bigger tank sooner than I expected LOL.. (I was looking to get a 100 + gallon a year or two down the road)

Any more suggestions welcome. Thanks for the help so far

- Melinda
Old 10-19-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

wow.....i dunno. i really stumped. sorry, i cant help

Old 10-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok after turning on the lights I noticed the tang rubbing his face against the rocks and breathing heavy, I'm beginning to think some sort of gill parasite - freshwater dip or treatment in the QT with a medication?

- Melinda
Old 10-19-2008, 04:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

well, if he is "flashing", thats a sign of ich.

Tags
breathing, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com