Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2005, 11:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

fish died in QT

how common is it to lose a fish in QT.my clown goby died this morning. i have had my clown goby and clown fish in QT for about 10 days. they were both eating and looking good. the ick on the goby cleared up ( the clown didnt have signs ) i have been treating with cupramine and doing 2 gallon water changes daily on a 10g. my ammonia wont come down. it is at 1.0 ( maybe a little lower). the goby was very small. maybe he couldnt handle the ammonia? maybe the ick got him? any thoughts?

steve r

Old 02-04-2005, 11:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
( the clown didnt have signs ) i have been treating with cupramine and doing 2 gallon water changes daily on a 10g. my ammonia wont come down. it is at 1.0 ( maybe a little lower). the goby
Are you monitoring the dosage with the seachem test kit?

Quote:
my ammonia wont come down. it is at 1.0
That could be the culprit, but with the water changes they can usually handle.
Sorry for your loss
The bright side is with only 1 fish in the system, the ammonia should come down.

Old 02-04-2005, 11:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yes i am monitoring the dosage. my water change water is dosed to the correct level
( i think .5mg per liter? ) i am not sure with out the box in front of me. and i also check my copper in the QT every other day. it has stayed very constant at the correct level. maybe the goby was weakened from the ick or just an unhealthy fish. he is the one that brought the ick to my tank.

i learned a valuable lesson, unfortunately at the cost of a life . at least it wont happen again, as i will QT all new fish.

hopefully the clown is hardy enough to make it. he seems like a tough guy. or at least acts like one

steve r
Old 02-04-2005, 11:53 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I had a gumdrop goby in QT once. Died w/in 2 or 3 days. I thought it might have been because he had more of a slime coat vs. scales - and that those types of fish didn't do well with copper. Not sure if that is right.

Just wonderin... Could it be?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 11:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Keep at it.
I have lost a couple in qt for various reasons, no fun.

Tags
die, died

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com