Fish Dieing Need HELP!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HoCkEyGmC

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well ive lost my tomini tang and 2 clarkii clowns and my flame angel is acting like the tomini before he died. my params are all near perfect nitrates are less than 5, amm is 0, nitrite is 0, 7.9, alk is 250, no signs of ich. i think im dealng with some type of paracite. need help. immeadiately!!! =[
Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!! =[http://michiganreefers.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=709045

i think im going to give the remaining flame a FW bath. im thinking im dealing with some type of worms.

I don't know if a FW bath will help for internal parasites or not, but FW can add a lot more stress to an already stressed fish.
How is he "acting"?
What is your temp?
What have you done different lately?

nothing different at all. this is in my 55g btw. the flame is hiding w/ mouth open just like my tomini. tank temp is 78.
Thanks
Edit: all of these fish except the flame have been in the tank for 3 weeks.

I am thinking of a couple things here
IF you have a volt meter check for stray currents
Have you sprayed or had any thing on you before maintaining your tank ?
How old is this tank ..
What are the inhabitants
Also go for the easier solution set up for a largish water change change or add carbon . Also add an air stone to help saturate the tank with 02 .
You will want to continue over the course of a few days to do water changes and change out the carbon every other day ..in case it is a poisoning going on

I don't think that that is a possibility. I have only ever had my hands in the tank once to do my rock. I will be doing pwc's though.

Are you sure there is no ammonia present? I would have suggested the volt meter, but in my experience, it wiped out my whole tank overnight. I imagine if there was a small amount of voltage, it could definitely take it's time, good point Sadie.
Gasping is a sign of ammonia/pH or lack of O2 among other things.
I would get your ammonia checked by another source, just to confirm.

I agree double check with a diffrent test kit for ammonia . It sounds like it is a bad kit you have and is indicating a premature cycle compleation .. Do check for the stray volts as we had a heater that went ....I stuck my hand in and WHAM ZAP ZOW. That crap hurts .. It also caused my fish to be a bit sick looking no losses tho I assumeI caught it quickly enough tho as my hands are in my tank no less than once a week for maintainence :D

Buy another test kit and check EVERYTHING. Change more water and more often. You can also try consulting your local pet shop and let them check the water for you.

Hope this helps!

the flame is now breathing extremely fast. still hiding. swimming a little sideways. i think i might be able to see minute ich sopts but it is just sooooo hard to tell because of where he is in the tank.
EDIT: and if the tank was contaminated wouldnt my inverts be dieing aswell. my urchin is looking great. all my snails are fine. JW.

UPDATE: added airstone, did a pwc, have one set for tomorrow aswell, getting carbon tomorrow, QT-ing (if there is going to be a fish to QT) sometime this week. i need to test my QT system.

flame died this morning. unsure exactly why. if there was contamination wouldnt my inverts be doing bad. like wouldnt my urchin be sheading its spines? tank will be fishless for at least 6 weeks. overr that time ill be doing water changes 1-2 times a week and ill be running carbon. after that time is up ill get a damsel and see how he does. if it does fine, ill get it out and start adding other fish. i might try a small frag of coral or a peppermint shrimp or something maybe in like a week or so to see if it was a paracite or contaminate.
Sound ok?

Skip the damsel I know you want to try cheap but they are a bear to remove once in .. and you run the possibility of tearing down the tank to remove it .. Some peppermint shrimps will pick at polyps or zoas this is a hit or miss thing and controversial topic.. What ever took your fish out may not effect your inverts at all .. Going fallow for now will help you pin point and recycle off .. I would only do weekly water changes of 40% or 50% at this point ... If there is a contamination the water changes and carbon should take care of it .. if something died off and you could not or did not see it it is possible that it cycled your tank and hard ..

Chromis do better in groups of 3 or more (they are a schooling fish) and will also be tough to remove ...they are IME difficult to keep as well.
You may be stuck with the chromis in your tank so choose wisely ;)
The blue chroms (are are actually blue not the green that most see)seem to do well alone or in a group of 2 ..To bad we never see those here tho I would order but for us it is just not even practical to think of that :p

i have a chromis in my nanocube. i was planning on getting a school of em if things went well anyways.

This is for the 55 right ? They should be fine in a group of 5 or so ;)

Back
Top Bottom