Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2006, 03:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
I went to the LFS, Petco, and Petsmart. The only copper treatment's I was able to find was CFX Parasite Terminator, Made by Marine Enterprises International. OR CopperSafe by Mardel.

The CFX was 2x the price, So i figured it was the better of the 2, and purchased that.

Also they only had 1 copper test kit it is made by Marine Enterprises Internation as well.

I will take 10gal of water from our 29 gal tank, since the only thing left in the 29gal will be our shirmp. I will replentish the 29gal over the next few Days.

I have an airstone for the QT Tank, but everything says no carbon filter. But that's the only filter media available. So if i take that out, then its just a water pump moving the water around.

It sounds like the only filter usefull would be a Bio Wheel.

So should i still put the filter with out any media? Will the above chemicles be ok for this treatment?

----------------

CFX Parasite Terminator
A unique formulation of copper and formaldehyde (copper 1.5%, formaldehyde 14%), in an ionized (chemically bonded) form. This stabilization process involves a separate catalyst agent that reacts with and bonds the compound physically altering the molecular structure of the two basic substances so that the final product is totally unlike either copper or formaldehyde in their original forms.

Thanks.

-TheChad

Old 01-23-2006, 04:28 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

You ar egoing to need something to act as a filter in your QT. For instance, I use an old HOB power filter that has an area where I can keep a sponge.

The sponge comes from my main tank. After the QT/treatment...I just buy a new (small) sponge and toss the old one.

I know that isn't going to help you now but keep this in mind in the future.

Old 01-23-2006, 05:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is a Top Fin HOB filter. The cartrage has carbon in it. They only make 1 cartrage for it.

So I don't know what else to do to make it work!?

I guess I could fill the open area of the filter with Bio Balls? Or does it need a sponge of some sort?

Thanks,

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:53 PM   #14
steve-s

If the HOB has a biowheel attachment, that would be ideal. They work amazingly well for QT applications. Barring that, the bioballs or sponge will work just as well. You need some sort of biological source, surface area's will not suffice. If using a sponge, be sure it gets rinsed in clean SW daily to remove heavy organics.

RE: the CFX, if you haven't used it, take it back. Copper and formaldehyde combinations are nasty and can easily kill the fish if not used exactly as instructed. Even then, the instances of death are pretty good. The Mardel product is pretty good, just not as good as the Cupramine. Be sure the concentration in the QT is tested 2x daily to be sure the level remains stable.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-24-2006, 03:28 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I haven't yet opened the CFX, I will take it back tomarrow and buy the Copper Safe. It is my only other option, as there are no other LFS close.

I put the Bfly in the QT tank today, I put 7 gal of the Main tank water, and 3 gal of freshly mixed Instant Ocean.

Should I keep the SG at 1.023 or should I lower it?

I purchase some 30 Pours Per Inch Bulk Sponge and placed it in the HOB filter.

We also purchased Ceramic Cylinders Media, Which said they are a great place for good bactiera to grow. Should I put some of thease in after the sponge? (Only about 15-20 cylinders would fit in the HOB filter).

If you rince the Sponge daily, wont that rid the good bactiera?

We will begin Copper treatment tomarrow (1/24/2006) with the Copper Safe.

The Bfly is doing ok, he is swiming around, he ate a little, no where near what he normally eats. (He ate normally this morning, before we put him in the QT tank)

Thanks,

-TheChad
Old 01-24-2006, 10:17 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Youre tank is coming up on a month old now, isnt it?

Fish Art for Wearables
Seepu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:04 PM   #17
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChad
Should I keep the SG at 1.023 or should I lower it?
Leave it at 1.023 SG

Quote:
I purchase some 30 Pours Per Inch Bulk Sponge and placed it in the HOB filter.
Be sure this is an aquarium safe sponge. Commercial sponges will contain anti fungal agents.

Quote:
We also purchased Ceramic Cylinders Media, Which said they are a great place for good bactiera to grow. Should I put some of thease in after the sponge? (Only about 15-20 cylinders would fit in the HOB filter).
That would help, just be sure they are not CaCO3 (usually clay or alumina), a dab of vinegar should confirm that.

Quote:
If you rince the Sponge daily, wont that rid the good bactiera?
Not as long as you use SW that is the same temp/pH. Preferabley use the water taken out at water changes. FW or extreme variances in pH/temp will kill the bateria otherwise.

Quote:
The Bfly is doing ok, he is swiming around, he ate a little, no where near what he normally eats. (He ate normally this morning, before we put him in the QT tank)
Test the water specs at least 2x a day along with the copper. Also soak the foods in a liquid vitamin additive like Zoe or Vita chem, something with a good B12 content. Adding directly to the water would help appetite as well.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-25-2006, 02:47 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well Happy to report, he is back to eating about 13-20 shrimp's per feeding again, on his own.

All the water parameters were good, except Ammonia was at .50, we did a water change with fresh SW. (What is considered a safe range? Is .50 considered toxic?)

We tested the copper, but the test results were not on the chart.

The highest the chart goes is 1.0, and the color of the test is darker than the 1.0 color. But according to the CopperSafe instructions the copper level is suppose to be between 1.5-2.0ppm. So I guess it is about right.

We did exactly as the direction stated on the bottle of CopperSafe. 1 teaspoon for every 4 gallons, so we put in 2.5 teaspoons.

The CopperSafe test said it should be at the 1.5-2.0ppm, But the Copper test kit said the Copper leve should be between .15-.3ppm when treating parasites. That's a big difference! What is right?

Thanks,

-TheChad
Old 01-25-2006, 05:01 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I test the water, and get .50 ppm Ammonia, I do a water change of about 4 gallons, and retest 2 hours later, still getting .50 ppm ammonia.

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:01 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I noticed today the the Bfly has white spots all over his tail and side fins, which are clear in color. He may have some on his body but since he is mostly white, i can't really tell.

I thought the copper treatment was suppose to kill the parasites? This worries me because this is what happened to the Yellow Tail Damsel before He died.

Thankfully the Bfly is still eating at this point, and swiming around, that is a + over the Damsel and Clown that died.

Thanks,

-TheChad

Tags
die, dieing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com