Fish disease - help needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello people!

Can anyone tell me what kind of disease my naso has? I have him since I started my system 2 years ago. Any suggestion for cure?

Thanks

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462625436.840131.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462625452.236950.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like HLLE to me. I'm at work, so I don't have any of my links available for quick info.
It is generally believed that activated carbon is the cause, but not proven.
To counter, remove the carbon with many water changes to remove the carbon effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE) Courtesy of : Mark Martin/blue zoo
The condition referred to as head and lateral line erosion (HLLE) is different from the above ailments as it is a non-pathogenic ailment. A tang afflicted with HLLE will present with pitting and scarring along its lateral line and on the head. Fading color is also quite common. Like hole-in-the-head disease, HLLE is not very well understood, but it is our experience that it is often related to malnutrition or prolonged exposure to hypo-saline conditions. Stray electric current (e.g., from faulty power-heads) is also sometimes believed to be the culprit.
There are many other suspected causes of HLLE, and because the causes are not well understood, effective treatment can be difficult to nail down. Here is what we suggest:
· Insure water quality is high and stable
· Use a supplement for synthetic saltwater such as Kent Marine’s Essential Elements
· Insure a varied and nutritious diet (using a vitamin supplement like Selcon) is being offered
· Reduce the amount of chemical filtration (if any) on the system, especially activated carbon
· Remove any potentially faulty power-heads, heaters or other equipment that could be releasing stray voltage into the aquarium
Frequently HLLE will not lead to death, but rather it will result in dis-figuration and, ultimately, discomfort to the animal necessitating euthanasia. If you observe the signs and symptoms, act quickly.
hlle+1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom