fish dyeing from disease.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Regular
Unfortunatly I woke up this morning to my emerald crabs eating the fins of my brown tango that was laying at bottom of my tank

I am wondering if it had the ich disease???. It was covered in white circles all over. I think my yellow angel fish is dead also, even tho it barely had white spots.

I do not want my blue tango to die!!! it is also currently covered in white spots.

what should I do???????

Were they covered in what looked like salt sprinkles? If so then it had the parasite. Your blue tang will probably get it since tangs are very suseptable to the parasite.

Were they covered in what looked like salt sprinkles? If so then it had the parasite. Your blue tang will probably get it since tangs are very suseptable to the parasite.

yea it looked like salt sprinkles...

sucks 6 fish died today. brown tang, blue hippo tang, yellow angel fish, firefish, etc

only ones that are currently alive are clown and damsel...........

If I remember correctly you had a 35 gallon (or so) tank, right? And you had 2 tangs and an angel? After you rid your tank of the parasite (6 weeks with no fish) you should really revisit your stocking plan. No Tang..regardless of age, size, species or your plans for a future humongous tank belong in a 30-something gallon tank.

If I'm mistaken and it's a 4 footer or better then disregard.

And here it is, the inevitable has happened. We all told you that you were adding fish too fast and that they were not right for your tank but you chose to ignore us. The disease is in direct response to stress and with what those fish have been through, I'm surprised they didn't come down with ich earlier.

I hope you take this as a lesson while you rebuild. Take it slow and take the advice others give please. I hate hearing about fish dying when it was easily preventable if the proper precautions were taken.

+1
I agree with you Chuck, its just sad how many poor fish have died and chalked up to "lessons & learning." Especially with a community like this that pours out information about the consequences of common ignorance. I'm never sorry for the owners loss, I'm sorry for the fishs loss.

Please revamp your opinions and methods, listen to advice, and follow the very few guidelines this hobby has or you have no business owning these animals.

Seems to come down to the basics...A lot of people could avoid such problems if they only knew the basics of where the poo goes. :)

Most cycles end with enough bacteria to process a little bit of ammonia. The population will then begin to die from lack of ammonia. Once a fish is added, the ammonia is back and the bacteria population stabilizes.

Anyone that has gone through a complete cycle should know how long it takes for bacteria to form and then process waste. Why would bacteria grow any faster now that the rocks are cycled? Thats why people suggest adding fish SLOWLY as in one per two weeks or so. (Likely will heavily depend on the current bacteria population size)

Got to know how it works in order to be successful. I dont think there is any excuse for not knowing the basics seeing as its 2010 and we have google...

This is a good, while sad, example of why you got to go slow and learn the basics.

Matt

so did the fish die from stress or from ich disease? all fish were covered in white spots.

Do I have to wait till the disease goes away?

It was Ich, you have to leave your tank without fish for 8 weeks MINIMUM for the disease to leave the tank. Raise the temp to 80 degrees and let it sit. Do not add more fish until the time span is over, they will die.

so did the fish die from stress or from ich disease? all fish were covered in white spots.

Do I have to wait till the disease goes away?

All your questions will be answered by the links I gave.

Back
Top Bottom