Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2004, 02:56 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Gosh, I wasn't trying to sound critical and I hope I didn't. People come here because they want to learn--that's why I'm here, for sure! Didn't mean to scare you off, Phippsy!

Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 11:02 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
hey seafan criticism is the best way to learn
Yes, but we try to do it in a way that's honest, and helpful, yet sensitve to other's feelings.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 11:06 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Oh yeah.... Blorkiemom is on target, and sounds pretty honest and helpful IMO.

Phippsy, how ya coming along with your diagnosis and treatment?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 03:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are some things that can't be avoided in this hobby - fish dying unexpectedly when everything has been done to help them etc. But, stuff like this is easily avoided and simply isn't fair on the fish (and I'm sure you're not feeling too good about it either phippsy, so why put yourself through it ?!?).

However, doing BASIC research will make the world of difference to you and your fish! Take this as an important lesson, and read, read, read. And take time before you rush into your next purchase. Sit back and plan
Old 11-01-2004, 05:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yeah I'm starting to realise now that its not as easy as I thought it was going to be. How long does it take then for your tank to complete its cycle??? I had moniored all the levels and everything was going as the books said it would so I just assumed it was safe to start adding fish but it appears I was wrong Don't worry about the way you speak to me on the posts either I have very thick skin I would rather people were straight to the point so I know that im messing up.

Well I'm going to take the tang back and leave it for a while coz after reading a site on the net about "ich" apparently if theres no fish in the tank then it will kill itself within a couple of weeks however it says Invert's are ok in there as they don't get affected by white spot! Is this true or not or is it best to completely empty the tank and wait for it finish its cycle (whenever that maybe!!) and sort out the Ich problem???
Old 11-01-2004, 05:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

It usually takes between 4 and 6 weeks for the cycle to complete, from start to finish, but it varies for everybody.

Your ammonia and nitrite will rise, and then fall back to 0. Monitor them all the way. When ammonia and nitrite are at 0, and steady for a week or so, you're good to go. Nitrates will also have risen to a certain degree - they're less deadly, but should still be kept in check with regular water changes after the cycle.

Good decision re. the tang, it's the right one

With ich, the tank needs to be left without a fish host for 6 weeks to be sure the parasite has gone. It can't live in inverts so they're fine to be left in there. But, you still shouldn't have any inverts in your tank during the cycle. Do you have inverts?

If you've got inverts, to be honest I'd take those back too, with the tang, let your cycle finish, (and leave the tank empty for 6 weeks), and start again mate

Remember, before you do start again, use the time while the cycle is finishing (and preferably longer) to research all you possibly can.

Tags
dyi, dying, fish dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com